Configure Tohatsu 6HP cam rod and shift rod

gallilaw

Cadet
When re-assembling after a difficult water pump rebuild, I messed up coordinating the cam rod and shift rod orientation. Both rods are in place and connected at the shift rod joint, but I don't know what gear the system is in currently, nor whether the cam rod is facing in the wrong direction.

What's the best way of coordinating the shift lever, shift rod and cam rod without taking the system apart (again)?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Configure Tohatsu 6HP cam rod and shift rod

See if the shift lever has full travel from F-N-R. You will need to turn the prop by hand (or have the motor running) to engage R. Typically, the cam rod ends up down in R, so you have a pretty good chance of then setting the shifter in R and locking the coupler there.

gallilaw

Cadet

Problem solved (I think). I took the lower rig apart once more to make sure that the cam rod was turned in the correct direction. I pressed it down to seat it in the reverse position.

After wiggling the drive shaft and cam rod into position, I tightened the lower unit to the shaft housing. The gears were still messed up. I used a big handle from a socket wrench to put force on the end of the cam rod that exits the shaft housing at the upper end, near the engine. Plunk. It dropped another inch. That seated the cam shaft one notch lower, to the true reverse position. At that point I tightened the cam rod clamp and all the gears were working again.

I hope it works as well when I turn the power on, some time tomorrow.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Side note for any in the future who are reading this. The cam rod would never be removed or turned in a water pump job so it would not be a problem for anyone who correctly replaces a water pump. IE Service manual = Unnecessary aggravation avoided.