1999 Johnson 130hp anode location?

thyNemesis

Seaman
I have been going over my newely aquired used boat with an attached 1999 Johnson 130HP (J130PLEED) motor and noticed the
streering Arm knuckle that attaches to the streering linkage is rusted quite a bit.

I think I should be checking to see if the sacraficial anode is still working? Correct?

I've looked at a exploded parts view and seen what it looks like but can't seem to figure out where it is on my motor.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another one which is the trim tab as well, i.e. trim tab and that has duel use as an anode as well?
These suppose to help prevent corrosion, no?

Now, what to do about the rusted steering arm. I would hate to see what would happen if my wife and I are running WOT and that piece
would break away and lose streering. I've looked at the price for the part alone and it runs over $400 if one can find it or I would have to start searching the boneyard for a better conditioned used one.

Has anyone replaced one of these themselves before? I'm not afraid to tackle this problem if need be...

I have in the past, rebuilt car engines, transmissions and have most of the tools to do such a job, as well as a lathe and a milling maching with the exception any specilized tools for this job.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp anode location?

Ive seen a lot of Mercs with trim tab anodes around this age but not Johnsons.
The one on your one i think is on the underside of the bearing carrier, two bolts hold it on

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The steering arm should be about $40 using this part number 0175110
Sounds like you may have being given a typical dealers price

This is for the whole kit about $55 0175125

thyNemesis

Seaman

The steering arm should be about $40 using this part number 0175110
Sounds like you may have being given a typical dealers price

This is for the whole kit about $55 0175125

Perhaps I mis-identified the part in question, it's this one #0434164 and it's no longer available, has a few other replacements part numbers as well and they are no longer available either!

Does anyone know if this end piece is pressed on or is it a forged one piece unit?

Once I removed the part, I was thinking I could remove the rust via electrolysis method, remove any weaken metal and create a new end piece that I could weld on to the old part. Just thinkin out loud...johnson130hpPic.jpg