Overheating issue

lukeb83

Seaman
Hey guys,
MY boat has an over heating issue. So where should i begin troubleshooting this issue? should i test the water pump first? i know the impellar hasnt been changed in 3 years. should i install a new water pump kit either way? thanks ahead of time for any advice you can give me.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Overheating issue

Hey guys,
I just got my boat out for spring and ran her in the yard a little bit. its a 1986 18' larson citation 140hp I/O. i had the boat winterized and it was fine when i brought it to the shop. i made sure all the fluids were topped off before i started her up. About 5 minutes in, i noticed she started to overheat (yes i had the rabbit ears on and the hose going lol). so i shut her off and let it cool down. i started it again and had the same result. So where should i begin troubleshooting this issue? should i test the water pump first? i know the impellar hasnt been changed in 3 years. should i install a new water pump kit either way? thanks ahead of time for any advice you can give me.

Ayuh,.... You got it,... she's Over due for it,....

lukeb83

Seaman

so should i just put the new kit in and try it again?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so should i just put the new kit in and try it again?

In addition to doing the water pump service, do you know when the last time the thermostat was replaced or known functioning?

There seem to have been a few threads around here in the last several days where a stuck thermostat turned out to be a cause for over-heating conditions.

Mark