Raising Boat Off of Trailer

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since I will be moving my boat forward on the trailer I will need to devise a way to support each side in the back along with a support for the front bow. Would I be okay using cinder blocks and placing a 4 by 4 by 48 inches long for both sides on top of the cinder blocks along with a hydraulic jack and a piece of 2 by 6 by 36 inches for supporting the bow? Would this work?

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Raising Boat Off of Trailer

Thomv. before you start moving the boat foward you might want post full trailer pics.???

NYBo

Admiral

Cinder blocks can crumble with little warning. Using them for 14' tinny is one thing; your 29-footer is another thing entirely.

airshot

Rear Admiral

How big is your boat? Pics can tell more than words. In simple terms if you are just scooting the boat further forward how about moving the winch stand forward then winching the boat forward.

Airshot

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

+1 if all you are doing is moving forward, go to the boat ramp, move the winch stand forward back her in and winch her up.. done deal.

UncleWillie

Captain

+1 if all you are doing is moving forward, go to the boat ramp, move the winch stand forward back her in and winch her up.. done deal.
Why even bother with the boat ramp?
Park it in the driveway and crank the trailer jack down to lower the bow.
It is easier to winch it downhill than up the ramp.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

because it's a 29' boat.... unless it's on a roller trailer it ought to be floated for winching

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat is 29 feet long and the weight is 6,500 pounds so I don't think I am going to be able to winch it. I do like the idea of floating it off, making the adjustment and refloating it on but unfortunately will not be able to do in the next two weeks. If cinder block is too brittle does anyone have any other suggestions for taking the weight off of the trailer?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

If you're only going to jack up the boat an inch above the bunks, and the trailer will always be directly underneath the boat while you back the trailer up a foot or so, then what difference does it make? Wood is cheap. Buy what you need and get 'er done.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe this picture will help a little, this task shouldnt take too much time, just use a few jack stand in the back and raise the boat maybe in the middle with a wheeled floor jack. You just need to raise the boat a few inches over the bunks.

Again the pictures is to give you an idea how to deal with. Hope this helps...

member-10_zpseb46a195.jpg

member-11_zpsa7aa41f8.jpg

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes. The pictures are very helpful and yes I am only trying to raise the boat about 1/2 inch above the bunks just enough to move the trailer rearward about 15 inches.
Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes. The pictures are very helpful and yes I am only trying to raise the boat about 1/2 inch above the bunks just enough to move the trailer rearward about 15 inches.
Thanks

It is just my opinion, but I would not lift the boat with some of the techniques pictured by 'Krakatoa' (sorry) . . . too many 'point loads' (as I call them) and sources of instability. Best to use boat stands as suggested.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

I'd suggest whatever "stands" you use, make sure you put something under the stands to prevent them from digging into the ground/pavement, especially if you're only going 1/2" up, but make sure they're very stable. I would not trust any 2x6 to support the bow. Get a short timber.

I don't have as big a boat but when I moved mine, I lowered the front of the trailer as low as it would go. Supported both rear corners with a double pile of timber then used a hydraulic jack to raise the front of the trailer. Supported front with 4x6's and lowered trailer. (DO NOT ever try to raise tongue by cranking trailer wheel with rear of baot off trailer)

Also don't do this job unless wind is very calm.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whatever you do, I would suggest not jacking from one spot only.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife once took our boat out with her sister and loaded the boat too far back on the trailer.

I did exactly what smokeonthewater suggested. I went to a ramp, backed it in enough to get a little flotation and winched it to the proper spot.

If you just need to move the boat, why mess with blocks, stands, or anything else?

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well Thomv, fellows boaters already gave a few ideas on how to raise the weight from trailer, when no ramp available, remember to use timber instead a flat panel (as I did). I raise mine as you see in the pics and stay that way for 2 1/2 days pulling both crossmembers, thank God no complaint mission acomplish. Wheeled jack only supporting the bunks, no big deal, the real weight was supported with the floor jack stands.... Let us now the end of the story....

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

My boat is 29 feet long and the weight is 6,500 pounds so I don't think I am going to be able to winch it. I do like the idea of floating it off, making the adjustment and refloating it on but unfortunately will not be able to do in the next two weeks. If cinder block is too brittle does anyone have any other suggestions for taking the weight off of the trailer?

Around here if nobody has actual boat stands then we use scrap piling cutoffs. Houses down here are all built on pilings so it's an easy enough thing to stop where a house is being built and ask the builder if he'd mind letting you have some. They're generally delighted to have you take them away instead of it remaining their problem. The pilings measure about 8" X 8" and you won't have to worry about them collapsing; they stack really well too.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Cinder blocks are strong if you turn them the right way . Never turn them on there side there is no strength that way . The holes should be vertical then place wood on top .