Brightside - cure time before use and/or wax

gwhere

Recruit
Hello everyone,
Came across iboats while looking for info on curing times and after 2 hours of distraction reading forum threads decided to just join and post it here. I just recently refinished the hull of my rowing shell (first time doing any boat repair), a late model Alden Star that I take either in estuaries or the ocean ( Seacoast New Hampshire) when the wind permits. Sanded down original epoxy which had spider cracking throughout and then used pre-kote and two coats of brightside. My problem is that I am itching to get back in the water and am wondering if I risk permanent damage to the paint-job by taking it out for a spin only 24 hours after the final top coat. I went to West Marine for wax and was told that I should wait 2 weeks for the paint to cure so that I don't risk stretching it when I buff? Is this a legitimate concern, given the short dry time? I know dry and cure are not the same by any means but two weeks... And what am I risking by taking it out? This boat is rugged and in fair shape for its age, and I don't care about cosmetic issues, only protecting the structural integrity. All opinions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks to everyone for this awesome forum, I don't own other boats but I am a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat out of Seabrook NH, so if anyone has questions pertaining to that I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Brightside - cure time before use and/or wax

The good news is......You will never have to wax again it will make no difference....Now westmarine is right 14 days to cure or that is how long it takes for all the solvents to evaporate.