Coast Guard Numbers

sporter

Cadet
I've just received the Coast Guard documentation for my Harbor Master Coastal Cruiser. The instructions state that the official numbers must be permanently affixed so that removal will cause scarring or damage....etc.<br />Where and in what manner have you guys placed this number?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Coast Guard Numbers

What kind of boat do you have Sporter? Larger boats typically install a plate with the number on it to a beam below deck. It depends on you boat.

18rabbit

Captain

Sporter - welcome to the forum!!! :) <br /><br />We received our vessel’s registration numbers but I haven’t gotten around to doing the numbers yet. I came to the same conclusion as you…the instructions are vague on this point. I am interpreting them literally; the number will be attached to the “hull”, not any cabin surface and not on any deck surface. We are doing some glass work (re-shaping the battery box) so I figured we would mold a simple plate with raised numbers out of epoxy and stick it to the hull in the engine room where it is clearly visible.<br /><br />When I thought about it I realized there is nothing you can do to put the numbers on the hull so that can’t be removed without showing scarring. The materials we work with have techniques to remove any numbers from any medium and you would never even know they were there.<br /><br />I’m also not comfortable with carrying the original documenting paperwork on the boat. I would think a copy should be enough. And the idea that a non-citizen cannot operate/pilot the boat while I am on it seems excessive for recreational vessels.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my boat, the number is painted (via stencil and spray paint) to the inside of the hull and then glassed over. It is located in a comparment under one of sittee cushions.