Time for a new needle?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Time for a new needle?

I am not getting a good clear look to say yes. Is that an O-ring on it and is it rubbery vs hard? That should easily test by holding low compressed air through the fuel line while seated (if it is out of your carb). OR! Will the low air pressure not test it as fuel??

1. Do you know if the engine was run bone dry or did it sit with fuel in it??
2. Do you see action in the fuel pump?s glass bowl when priming?

Attachments

• 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (6).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (6).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • needle larger[1].jpg
    needle larger[1].jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Time for a new needle. There should never be rings that bad. This usually happens when they sit for a long time with fuel in the carb, or if the float is out of adjustment. It may seal just fine, but it also may stick too, either way just replace it. They are very cheap, and its good insurance.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wickware, The tip of the needle comes with a smooth cone shaped rubber tip. Mine has 2 ridges in it.

I just bought this boat and it was actually running OK. I had the carb off for spring cleaning.

Tater, Yeah sticking was my concern. I had to tap on the carb to get it out. And these aren't like a Johnson where the float can pull on the needle as it drops.

needle and gaskets combined are about 19 bucks shipped.

wickware

Lieutenant

Oops! I responded to the wrong post. I thought I was back to the 55 HP Chrysler that sat 20 yrs that is having fuel issues. The 55 is the same as my 35 in the common series "I'll call it". Blind me using the wrong monitor resolution for larger text w/o full width of text.

I see the groves in the rubber tip now (enlarging it) and have seen it before vs an O-ring on metal I tried to see it as.

Thanks!

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The needle should have a tiny wire retainer attached to it that slides over a tab on the float. Its very similar to the Johnson design. The new needle should come with one attached. The wire allows the float to pull the needle down.