redoing transom

gateway

Seaman
I have a 12ft aluminum waco craft john boat. The transom was all rotten, so I pulled it all out today. I called to see what marine plywod cost...WOW! Can I use 3/4" untreated plywood and seal it on my own? would it hold up?<br />thanks, no4njnk

gateway

Seaman
Re: redoing transom

sorry I put this post up hear, I ment to post it in the boating forum...woops! I know better.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

I've used double thickness 3/4" treated plywood(waterproof construction glue and galvanized wood screws to hold together) then seal with marine varnish. Still going strong 6 years later. Also , you'd want to seal the exposed edges well. Untreated...will rot in short time and the material used to make it is not waterresistant.

D

DJ

You can use regular ply just fine. I recommend sandwiching 1/2" ply with waterproof wood glue and sealing the whole thing with West Products epoxy available at: www.westmarine.com.

gateway

Seaman

Im confused about sandwiching 1/2" plywood? what I pulled off was just 1 piece of 3/4" plywood.<br />Do I need to double it up? A 4hp johnson is all im putting back there.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Two pieces could'nt hurt. Think of it as insurance... :)

D

DJ

If 3/4" is what you pulled out, replace with that. A 4 hp. does need a lot of support.