Best tune up parts?

Billys Barge

Cadet
I'm a newby to boats, I want to do an ignition tune up to my 94 Reinel with a 350 mag mercruiser, I believe it has the Thunderbolt ignition. The cap, rotor, plugs, and wires I want to replace for sure but what about the coil? It looks a little rough. The boat takes a bit of cranking to start, not sure if its just my starting procedure or not. Either way I would like to do a tune up with the right parts, I was looking at MSD 8.5 wires, and NGK plugs. Also the MSD high vibration coil. Any suggestions

Billys Barge

Cadet
Re: Best tune up parts?

I should also add a fuel filter and oil change to the tune up, what suggestions for filters?

Bondo

Staff member

I should also add a fuel filter and oil change to the tune up, what suggestions for filters?

Ayuh,.... I buy my filters at Napa,... Napa filters are rebadged Wix filters, which are some of the Best....

As for tune up parts,....
If the coil, 'n plug wires meter out good, Why change 'em,... yer wastin' gas money....
What they "Look" like is Irrelevant...

I run AC Delco spark plugs in Chevy motors, you can do whatever ya please....
The AC Delco Marine version of their plugs have an Alloy body which won't rust solid into the heads....

Billys Barge

Cadet

I'll run AC Delco plugs if I can find the right part number, I found the NGK PN easy and when I cross referenced there were a ton of AD options. What ohm readings should I have on the coil and wires?