87 Force 85 dry Plugs wont start

Lakeland

Recruit
I have a 1987 85HP force that will not start. It has fuel to carbs, primer bulb firm, I can choke the heck out of it and plugs stay dry. Have spark, cleaned carbs still no fuel getting to plugs. It would start with stater fluid last summer and now won't even start with that. Is this a reed problem? Have 120 PSI in each cylinder +/- a couple psi

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 87 Force 85 dry Plugs wont start

It could be a reed problem, But it is unlikely that all 3 reed blocks have failed.

With your hand over the mouth of the carb jump the starter and check for suction on each one. (with the throttle open at least a little)

to me it sounds like a fuel blockage but reeds are possibly at fault.

Report back after you check for suction.

Lakeland

Recruit

It could be a reed problem, But it is unlikely that all 3 reed blocks have failed.

With your hand over the mouth of the carb jump the starter and check for suction on each one. (with the throttle open at least a little)

to me it sounds like a fuel blockage but reeds are possibly at fault.

Report back after you check for suction.

Carbs all have fuel in them, have them off now as well as the fuel pump which I will now rebuild, it also looked OK. I'll try to check for suction later

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

make sure the idle mixture needles are 1 turn out from seated,

And It is a BAD idea to use starting fluid in a 2 stroke, It washes away all oil and kills crank seals. Just use some 50:1 premix in a spray bottle.

Lakeland

Recruit

OK, checked for air intake when turning over, there is a small vacuum created, its not anything like standing over a big block chevy but I used a piece of paper and you could see it pull the paper in slightly as it turned over. One other symptom note, when it this problem began last summer the engine was hard to start and had dry plugs, once you got it going it would usually start ok the rest of the day. I still don't understand what is going on with this.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Are you using fast idle to start? Don't burn up your starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The reeds shouldn't have anything to do with no gas to the plugs.Unless they are welded shut?
You check for spark?
The floats could be suck?
You clean the carbs?
You soak them?
In the needle/seat the rubber can swell from Ethanol or Seafoam.
Too much additives added to the gas isin't good.
You in the US?? Profile,location?
Were stuck using Ethanol in our gas.
Ethanol will melt the inside of the hoses.
Turning them soft and mushy.
Check the float level.

Lakeland

Recruit

OK been away for a bit, have spark, have compression, not using fast idle to start, all three carb bowels have gas in them, I'm waiting now for the rebuild kits for the carbs.
Manual says I have an electronic primer that primes the motor. I don't see anything that looks like that on this motor connected to the fuel system. Is this only on particular years? Its not where the manual says it should be, is there actually one on the 87 force 85HP?
Also replacing the kill switch since the old style cup cracked I had taped it together (this was the source of the non start condition per the local dealers mechanic last summer) he put a zip tie on it... it didnt fix the non start condition.
14" of snow last night and 24 inches of ice on our lake so I have a few days yet to get this figured out and running. Two sets of reeds were bad and are being replaced once the parts show up.
Any help greatly appreciated.

UncleBuck81

Seaman Apprentice

I have an 88' so essentially should be the same. I do not have a elec primer, just the choke solenoid. Sounds a lot like my problem as far as not getting fuel. If you have the needle with the black rubber tip I would get rid of all 3!! They will stick after a short time! I put the all metal tip needle/seat in mine and problem has stopped. Oh also on a side note I agree with posts above. I always have to use fast start until she warms up. If not she will sputter and stall a few times until warm. Saves my starter!! Only have to use it once

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Reeds VERY rarely go bad. When you say they went bad what are you seeing? A pic would help if you can. Remember to open the vent on your gas tank. Also where in the heck are you that still has 14" of snow and 24" of ice!! I feel for ya sitting in this 70 degree sunny weather!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Once in a while my port motor won't start.
I found this the hard way.
I was frustraded and PO'd
I turned the key while the motor was in the tilted up position.
It fired and started.Turned it off and lowered it and it started right up/

You have no electronic primer but a electric choke.
Push in as you turn the choke.
The fast idle: pull the handle out or maybe a button on the control box.
Pull ing handle disengages the shift linkage and allows the motor to be reved up in neutral.
What are the actual compression#s ?
They should be within 5# of each other. Say 120 on all.
But if the top is 125 and the bottom is 110 that would be enough to make it hard to start.
Too bad you ordered reeds.I'd would have sent you some I have setting here:(

Lakeland

Recruit

Well in clody, snowy,freezing Minnesota I had time yesterday to work on the motor.
-Rebuilt fuel pump
-put new reeds in (some were not closing)
-cleaned carbs
-pumped out old fuel and added fresh non oxygenated
Started immediatly after being primed.
Now I have gas running out of 2 of the carbs.
Where are you able to find the solid needle and seats for these carbs? All I see are the plastic tip ones.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have not seen the solid needles for quite some time. All of the carb kits I have ordered over the past 3 years have the newer rubber style tip. Hopefully Unclebuck will share his resource. Oh, and good lord! I think its time for migration to warmer climates! We boat from late March through October here in southern Idaho. I'll save you a dock ;)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Most cases the original needle/seat don't need to be replaced.
A good cleaning will work.
Use soap(Dawn) and water.
Then air dry(compressed air).
Float level? Turn carb upsidedown
The float should be level.
Rightside up:the float shouldn't touch the stem.