Darn cold here tonite

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
...and I've already run my rig on muffs. I put a big floodlight in the engine compartment to try and keep the temps up. Low tonight is supposed to be 29.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Darn cold here tonite

Ayuh,... Learn how to Drain it, it only takes Minutes....

then yer 100% Freeze Protected....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the air temp is always lower than what's covered and retaining the day's heat. It's constant cold that will get you, not the odd dip. the light is all you need.

If I'm wrong, well, it's your motor not mine!

Loving the outboards....

ziggy

Admiral

imho,
i'm not a fan of putting an ign. source into the engine compartment of a boat. so i'm with the drain it idea.
i've still not summerized mine yet. darn weather, we got snow here last week and we got below freezing temps coming my way again next week. if i did run it though. i'd be draining the water out of it to be sure i didn't sustain freeze damage.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I can only dream of it being warm enough in the daytime to run my boat.
Maybe in a week or two.
It was -15 last night and its still snowing.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Welcome to my world:-(image.jpg
We should have at least 75 boats launched by now:-(

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Cold - nah
attachment.php

Attachments

• P4200001.jpg
    P4200001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0

airshot

Rear Admiral

imho,
i'm not a fan of putting an ign. source into the engine compartment of a boat. so i'm with the drain it idea.
i've still not summerized mine yet. darn weather, we got snow here last week and we got below freezing temps coming my way again next week. if i did run it though. i'd be draining the water out of it to be sure i didn't sustain freeze damage.

Draining is your best bet, and I am not a fan of ordinary light fixtures that close to gas, however their is an alternative...Sockets and bulbs are made for dangerous high explosive gas areas, I bought a pair of bulbs and sockets that are approved for these areas. They are not that expensive, I lay one on each side of the block as low as I can in the engine compartment and close the doghouse. One is more than sufficient so I use two in case one bulb burns out. I ony use this system early on and in the very last trips of the season before winterizing. Just can't be to safe with our precious boats.

Airshot

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you looked into the Extreme Boat Heaters? I'm in North Florida and freeze damage is rare but I'm lazy so I bought one. Seems like great insurance for the engine.

UncleWillie

Captain

the air temp is always lower than what's covered and retaining the day's heat. It's constant cold that will get you, not the odd dip. the light is all you need...

It depends on the weather.
If it is an overcast night the boat will be warmer than the air.

If it is a calm, clear, starry night and the boat is in the open, The engine can get colder than the air.
Radiative Cooling is impressive! Ice can form at temperatures as high as 40 deg F under ideal conditions.

I placed a a Temperature data logger with the probe INSIDE of the engine block.
The engine is an I/O under a sun-pad, under a full cover.
The data recorded that the engine block on a clear night got as much as 4 deg F BELOW the ambient air temperature.
It only took a few hours.

The Good News.... A 60 Watt trouble lamp on a baking sheet under the oil pan kept the temperature 30 deg F ABOVE the air Temp!

You'll be fine as long as the bulb stays lit and it doesn't go below Zero!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What exactly is that triple shark fin looking thing? Some type of grounding plate???:noidea:

Ice Cutters !! :D

Looks like the bottom of a Sanger performance hull.

oldjeep

Admiral

What exactly is that triple shark fin looking thing? Some type of grounding plate???:noidea:

It's a competition ski boat, they have fins to make the boat track straight.