66 6hp evinrude prop problems

Aaron4260

Recruit
Long story short i can get my motor to run but it will quit shortly after. Well after it quits it wont start until i turn the prop to make the shifting lever click into all 3 postions rather then just one. I know the basics of boat motors but cant figure out why it does this. My lower unit seems to have some broken seals cause im taking on water inside. Could that be whats causing this

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 66 6hp evinrude prop problems

That doesn't make sense. Unless, that is, it is siezeing up when it quits. If that is the case, you very well could have catastrophic damage in the lower unit.

nwcove

Admiral

can you pull the rope after it stalls? ie, is it locked up ? or does it stall.....you take some time messing with the prop....then it will restart?

Aaron4260

Recruit

The motor doesnt lock up it will run as long as i hold the prop in place basically the prop is turning in shift and for some reason after it turns a bit it will stall then i cant put it into either fwd or reverse until i rotate prop then it will shift fine and start right back up everytime.

Rick.

Captain

Hello Aaron. I'm not trying to be critical but your not getting your point across very well. You say your 'holding the prop in place while it is running' which I hope is not true. 'The prop is turning in shift' which is again hard to imagine what you really mean. The prop can turn in forward, reverse and even in neutral but I don't understand what you mean by 'in shift'. Take some time to better explain exactly what is happening and when. Lots of really helpful people here who will help you but you need to communicate the problem better.

I recently pulled a prop. off and it had so much fishing line packed between the prop. and the oil seal I doubt it would have been able to run. It would have needed more horse power just to overcome that friction. Try pulling your prop and have a look. Just a very wild guess. Don't give up, I see your very new to this forum. We all were new here once. That is a good motor and well worth your effort. Best of luck. Rick.

Aaron4260

Recruit

Rick sorry man im trying to be as clear as possible here but im just not sure how. Okay so when i took the prop off there was fishing line between it and the oil seal. Not a bunch but still some so i removed it. Anyway after further inspection i realized that the prop wont turn to the right by hand in foward gear but it will spin left in reverse and both ways in neutral. Im thinking the gears in my lower unit are damaged from water but i cant get the screws out to inspect it. I hope thats a better explanation of whats happening

Rick.

Captain

Hi Aaron. Well that makes more sense to me. When in gear (forward or reverse) the prop should not free wheel in either direction. Neutral it should spin both ways as you said it does. It sounds to me like the gear case has an issue. First thing to do is drop the lower unit and then try the prop spinning again just to confirm things didn't change. To get the gear case apart you must get the six screw bolts out. There is a tool called an impact wrench that has screw driver bits and you smack it on top with a hammer. It is an excellent tool for removing stubborn screws. You may need one and they can be expensive but it's a tool I have come to rely on many times. If you know someone with a motorcycle you can probably borrow one. Keep posting back as you go. Rick.