cost on spring oil change on Yahama F 150 outboard.

3pontoonguy

Recruit
I have a Yamaha G3 LX 322 CV Pontoon boat with a F 150 outboard.
Just got a bill from my marina for 'Change engine oil, filters, gear case lube' : $190.
' Materials' : $131.
'Spring commission' : $ 55.
With Tax, total: $ 395.

Am I off base or does that seem very high?

Tnx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: cost on spring oil change on Yahama F 150 outboard.

Don't know where you are located but you are not paying for just an "oil change". Draining the crankcase, draining the lower unit, replacement of the oil filter (and likely the fuel filter since your note says "filters") time quickly adds up so all of that depends on the current labor rate. Parts cost would include the oil, lower unit lube, and the filters and other consumables. Spring commission is apparently starting the engine, checking the charging and cooling system. So other than what seems a tad high for materials, thats the price you pay to have someone else do what is far more complex than a $29.99 oil change on a car.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Yamaha G3 LX 322 CV Pontoon boat with a F 150 outboard.
Just got a bill from my marina for 'Change engine oil, filters, gear case lube' : $190.
' Materials' : $131.
'Spring commission' : $ 55.
With Tax, total: $ 395.

Am I off base or does that seem very high?

Tnx

Did they kiss you first? My dealer charged me around $150 for the same services and they used synthetic oil. Maybe they just had an extremely slow mechanic.

We all know it's different than a car oil change, but come on.
If they had to pull your boat from the water and re-launch it then they would still be high.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I pay 150.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

A bit off topic but why change the oil now and not in the fall before the layup?

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A bit off topic but why change the oil now and not in the fall before the layup?

Good point. General consensus is that you should change the oil before storage, as you don't want the acidic laden used oil (from the combustion process) sitting in the engine all winter. That said, I change the oil in most of my small engines after storage and never had an issue.

calamus

Cadet

We just had our 20 hour service on our f150 on a 22SSX bennington and the charge was $220 I thought that was a touch high I will be doing it myself from now on

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

This is a old thread guys.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

D E A L E R S can sometimes be B A N D I T S. And sometimes they're not. I only see my dealer for service when the engine manufacturer is paying for warranty work.

You can get a quart of Pennzoil lower unit grease @ Walmart for $5.46. It only takes one quart if a pump is used.
Six quarts of Mercury 4 stroke outboard oil is $37.81 @ Walmart. (I use Chevron Delo diesel oil that's even cheaper and just as good.)
A Purolator L14476 oil filter is $3.99. (Don't think the manufacturer makes any special oil filters.)
Tiny gaskets on the crankcase and lower unit drain and plug holes are a couple of bucks.

It's a $50 parts job.

Moving the boat into a service bay, changing the oil and draining the lower unit grease and replacement is a 1 hour labor job. I can do it in 1/2 hour, though.

Don't you hate being taken advantage of? Always get the price before approving any work to be done.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

And if you dont know how to service your motor, look it up on U-Tube.