How big a PITA is replacing the gear oil fitting on transom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Long story short, removing the bell housing to replace the bellows on my alpha 1 gen 2. Yes, I should have cut gear oil hose, but did not... Cut the tie wrap on the plastic right angle transom fitting and tried to get the hose off. Worked and worked, finally the hose barb snapped. It's off now... :) :( Are there any options other than replacing it?

Thanks-

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How big a PITA is replacing the gear oil fitting on transom?

Are there any options other than replacing it?

No, that is a really sorry setup when they went to that cheap plastic from the brass ones. They can also be impossible to get to beacuse of boat design, another fun design error.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don. Looking at the picture, it looks like is has a E clip and a quick disconnect on the other side which is better than I thought... Is this the part I need, 22-861150T02?

Fun Times

Staff member

The hardest part of the job is everything that needs to be done on the inside of the boat. Not much room down there for your hands.

Once you get the quick connect fitting off and the E-ring off on the inside of the boat, the gear lube fitting will pull out from the outside of the boat.

Here's what it should look like,
Google Image Result for http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NEW-OEM-MerCruiser-Alpha-Bravo-Gear-Oil-Lube-Fitting-KIT-22-861163-22-861150t02-/24/!Bvv6kYwEGk~$(KGrHqYOKjwEvotcV)VcBMF3Tlh)OQ~~_35.JPG

Item #1,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=2686&bnbr=270&bdesc=OIL+RESERVOIR+COMPONENTS

There are three pictures in here to help give you an idea if needed in the link below,
Fitting Connection Photo by dln_2009 | Photobucket

Good luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Don. Looking at the picture, it looks like is has a E clip and a quick disconnect on the other side which is better than I thought... Is this the part I need, 22-861150T02?

Yeah, that should be the one you want. If you can see that E clip, you have it made.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone... That will be tomorrow's job.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

After I heard about that silly little plastic fitting I looked at all the parts and part numbers and I believe the old style brass fitting can be retro fitted back in. From memory it does mean not having a QD fitting on the back of the transom, but there is another QD further up the line (towards the oil reservoir).

Chris................

Fun Times

Staff member

After I heard about that silly little plastic fitting I looked at all the parts and part numbers and I believe the old style brass fitting can be retro fitted back in.
Chris................
Hum, I'm not so sure i would be comfortable with doing something like that since service bulletin 98-12 mentions the composite fitting assembly will not back fit into the Alpha and Bravo Transom assemblies that have the brass fitting, because of a machining change to the gimbal housing for the new fitting.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/98/98_12.pdf

achris

Hum, I'm not so sure i would be comfortable with doing something like that since service bulletin 98-12 mentions the composite fitting assembly will not back fit into the Alpha and Bravo Transom assemblies that have the brass fitting, because of a machining change to the gimbal housing for the new fitting.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/98/98_12.pdf

Thanks FT... Didn't see that SB...

Cheers.

Baylinerpete

Recruit
I been trying for hours to get that e-clip on. bought long needle nose and the one with a bent tip. I still can't get it on.My hands are to big and you can't see the fitting...

achris

This thread is 8 years old. When you signed up to iboats,I assume you read through the forum rules and read the paragraph regrading posting to archive threads...

Please start a new thread of you have a question or comment.

Chris.
iboats mod team

Status
Not open for further replies.