HERE it is the final discussion on my Repower saga THE MONEY IS HERE

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK
First off
I know im putting lipstick on a pig, a $6000 saddle on a $2 horse. But its my pig and my horse and this will happen. I WILL BUY A 4 STROKE unless i find a once in a life time deal on a DI 2 stroke. I love working on the old motors im a gear head at heart but I need to fish more than i tinker and when my kids (7yr and 5 yr girls) are in the boat I dont need to be praying the damn thing will start. Im fishing fresh water in North TX and OK I am not in a hurry when Im fishing. I just want to get there and get back. So speed is not a concern for me Reliability and longevity are my needs.

That said....

Heres what I got

1973 SuperSport 16ft rated for 85 hp
Current power 1977 70 hp Johnson non tnt with a 13 3/4x15 prop
Boats been gutted only had the drivers console and a front fishing deck and 2 48 qt coolers for seats. Its not a luxry boat or a drag boat its for fishing.
It also has a completely redone Transom with marine rade ply and epoxy resin.

With 300lbs (driver and gear) and 6 gal of fuel GPS says 40 mph max speed. I normally cruse around at 25-30 mph by my self or just stay on plane when riding with others so we can talk and enjoy the ride.

Here's what Im looking for

I am looking at 40- 70 hp motors Standard gear case / high thrust / bigfoot what ever. I dont want to by more motor than i need as i am sure that in 2-3 years I may just break down and by the wife her pontoon any way. But she said I could have my motor so its happening.

I have seen newer boats with similar hull designs and weights and they are runnng 40hp motors. Everyone keeps saying I need a 60 or 70 or 80 hp motor. WHY? Why would i need more than 40 hp? What about the bigfoot / high thrust motors? If it will push a 20 ft pontoon (water plow) why wouldnt it push my boat 25 to 30 mph?

I value all of your technical opinions. This forum has been a wealth of knowlege for years.

Thanks fellas and gals

BonairII

Commander
Re: HERE it is the final discussion on my Repower saga THE MONEY IS HERE

40hp would leave you way UNDERpowered IMO. People who run 40s on a 16 footer are probably just interested in puttering around....or couldn't find and/or afford a larger motor.

I have a 1975 Starcraft SS with a 75hp(which is prob performs more like a newer 65hp). Check my sig for performance numbers.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I figured. Thats really what the boat is for puttering around. What puzzles me is the 40 hp high thrust motors. I am told they are made for high displacement hulls and pontoon. When i ask what the advantage is everyone ha said you can swing a bigger prop which means your pushing more water. If you run 40 hp HT/BF motor on one of these boats would that not be like running a standard 50?

matt167

Captain

They run a different gear ratio, it can give higher thrust with a bigger prop but it's not really the same

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess thats what confuses me. It gives you more thrust. Thrust is what pushes the boat. If you have more thrust then logically you should be pushing the boats fayou go faster logically.

BonairII

Commander

No. Thrust is like torque. It will get you up on plane quickly.....but will run the rpms up also.

It's like pedaling a bicycle in first gear.....you can pedal your head off but will never get any good speed.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

In my opinion, you are correct in your thoughts for how YOU are going to use your boat, 40hp will be enough for how YOU want to use it. As long as that doesn't change, you'll be happy with it. You may want more than one size prop, depending on load and conditions.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know this is the final discussion. Anyway - Power moves a boat. More power moves a boat better, to a point. A big foot is like 4 wheel low in a 4X4. It will move the boat but not very fast. And it will use more fuel to run 25-30 mph, if it will go that fast. Shift into 4 wheel high and get a 70-75 horse "normal" gearcase. You will go faster and you can cruise 25-30 with decent fuel economy. My couple of pennies. Good luck on your decision, Tex.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your hull will be ok with a 40, not great, but ok.
You are talking about 650 hull weight, it will work.
I know someone that runs a 30 hp tiller on a gutted 16ss. It just barely planes, 40-50 hp will do ok.

When you are shopping, price compare 40-50-60 hp models, 4 stroke and DI 2 stroke.
You may find more value for your dollar.

Maybe that 50 or 60 hp motor could be transferred to the new pontoon someday.

Here honey, I bought a nice motor for your pontoon.
I will keep it safe right here on my fishing boat while you save up for your pontoon. :D

Go for it. Find the best value and go fishing.

Hmmm, how about $5100 for a 2012 75 hp 4 stroke? Sold by iboats, it has to be a good deal.

2012 Mercury Complete Outboard - 75 ELPT 4S - 75HP - 4 Cylinder - Select Pre-Owned - iboats.com

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the rig is really just a fishing rig, you could get away with the 40hp. But, why not spend the extra $900 and get a 60hp? Still won't be a hot rod by any means, but you will be able to get out of your own way. You ever get caught in a storm, one of those kids wants pulled around on a tube, etc. The extra $$ put out at the beginning will be long forgotten down the road when you are happy with the 60hp, but you will be kicking yourself if you didn't spend it and you are way underpowered and you can't do what you want or need to do and are stuck.

You have decided to spend the cash for a new outboard, don't get cheap and buy the wrong one. You very rarely hear people complaining that they have to much hp. But not enough hp can be very frustrating and unsafe.

chad

Just a ps, I was using numbers that I was quoted on mercury 4s outboards. You numbers may vary. ;)

64osby

Admiral

I see a few repeating comments on repowering boats here.

The minimum motor should be 75% of the max HP. That would be basically be a 60hp or more.

You rarely hear anyone say they wish they had less power. The only time I have seen it is on small tinny's that are over powered and don't feel safe.

If you ever decide to sell, an under powered boat will effect the sale.

The other thing to consider is if / when your girls want to start tubing or try skiing. IMO a 60 would be the minimum. I had a 50 on a 16 fg boat when my kids were small, but it would bog down when pulling adults.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great answers fellas. This is a productive thread. Sounds like 40 will do 50 would be ideal 60 and up is good for anything.

Roscoe Im right there with ya on the pontoon idea. I had thought of the 60 hp bigfoot Merc I like that 75 but she might be to heavy for the boat

Now i guess its just going to be whats the biggest bang for the buck.

I had a 1985 Sylvan 16' walk thru with a 2003 Merc 60 Big Foot 2 stroke. The combo was perfect for trolling or pulling a tube. Not sure of weight comparisons, but it sounds about the same. 40hp on that boat would've been a problem. You may not care for speed, but there are times when getting back to shore becomes a priority and it's nice to have the power. My top speed on my boat was @ 35 mph.
The sylvan was rated for a 90 hp and that would've been suicidal.

and2ram

Seaman

Go with a 60. It's easier to throttle back than wish you had more power. As far as bang for the buck this will be your best option as well. The price difference between a 40, 50, and 60 is relatively small.

Avoid a BigFoot on your boat. Mercury has comparison of the BigFoot vs standard mid range 40-60hp motors on their website, the BF has a huge gear case and a big prop. Yes, it will put you on plane but you will ultimately be dissapointed with the performance. That motor is meant for pontoons and semi-displacement hulls. Another thing to consider is that you really won't need much help planing out your SS which has a hull weight of what, under 700lbs? Fully loaded including the motor, boat, fuel, gear you might be looking at 1100lbs.

I would avoid a 75 4stroke at all costs on that hull, especially a Mercury. Good motor but it's heavy at 399lbs. A 16'ss is too light and too narrow beamed for it to be successfully and safely run with that motor. Lund guys were complaining about their Rebel XL's squating too much in the stern and that boat's got a shallower v and is almost a foot wider than yours!