1969 55hp Chrysler #5555

I have a 1969 Chrysler 55 hp outboard missing vent and fill screws at the gearcase. Anyone know what size screws to use or how to rig something up with a washer and bolt that I could get at Lowes? I'm nowhere near a marine supply store. I was thinking a couple of #18 3/8 screw with a gasket or a washer might let me fill up the oil in the lower gear case so I can at least fire up the engine w/o risking the water pump. Any thoughts? Anyone know if I need to torque it?

The engine sat outside for 20+ years, but fires up w/ some starter fluid, new sparkys and a new battery.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 55hp Chrysler #5555

Hi, Dad.

Welcome to iboats. :)

1. Those plugs are pretty much universal. You should be able to get them (Drain/Fill plug should be magnetized) at any outboard dealer. Do not use washers, use the crushable, use once, nylon gaskets and get a supply of spares.

2. Never use ether starting fluid in a 2 stroke. It washes out lubrication. Use premixed fuel.

wickware

Lieutenant

If your internal threads are in good conditions, I feel you can seal the holes. You should be able to find stainless oval slotted head bolt, Teflon washers or crush washers at Lowes or local Auto. A good snug feel or crush on a crush washer is all the torque you need vs a wrench.

I hate to guess the size w/o looking at it but someone here will know (try a 5/16? NC from your spares and work from there if needed). Iboat will probably show the bolt size here. I would suggest purchasing a nut the size of the bolts to practice the feel of crushing or snugging (if this is new to you). Most of all, this is something you will have to keep a close eye on ?before and after trips to know it's not leaking (with continued use) . Just testing should be no problem.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to get the screws at any marine store. OMC, Merc, Chrysler, and Force all used pretty much the same--3/8-16 from largest to smallest engines.

A 3/8-16 allen head bolt cut down to about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long works well too

I ended up getting some #16 3/8 w/ thin rubber gaskets and they seem to be holding the gear oil just fine.

Thanks for the feedback on starter fluid. I hate to use it but its the only way I could get the engine to fire up (I had no idea if the thing worked when I bought it). Doesn't hold though and I can't seem to get the fuel/oil mix to catch. It doesn't look like its spraying into the cylinders for combustion. Not sure if its the carb or the fuel mix.