Boat seat question

DougEh

Recruit
Hi guys/girls

Newbie here and my fist post... I am renovating my 96 Northwood 1675 fisherman and I have a question regarding seats. I read on this site that in 96 seating guidelines were put out. Now is this "code" or just a recommendation? I believe it is just a recommendation. My second question is does anyone run these style seat post in their tiller boat http://www.iboats.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/king-pin-seat.jpg my boat does a whopping 20mph and are these post and bases sufficient to withstand that, under a 200lbs man? Any input is appreciated.

Doug

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat seat question

Hi guys/girls

Newbie here and my fist post... I am renovating my 96 Northwood 1675 fisherman and I have a question regarding seats. I read on this site that in 96 seating guidelines were put out. Now is this "code" or just a recommendation? I believe it is just a recommendation. My second question is does anyone run these style seat post in their tiller boat http://www.iboats.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/king-pin-seat.jpg my boat does a whopping 20mph and are these post and bases sufficient to withstand that, under a 200lbs man? Any input is appreciated.

Doug

Welcome to iboats :welcome: Great to have you aboard...

The total strength of such a post pedestal seat setup really depends on how well it is anchored to the floor. If you anchor that post receptacle with good quality bolts and nuts with a good floor structure it will support the weight of most anybody. Most of those posts are around an inch in diameter. It takes a lot of force to bend or break that diameter metal. So your answer is yes it will support you but only if it is attached properly to the flooring and the flooring is a quality structure... However, have you thought about making a storage box mount with a standard swivel attached to the seat and a storage box just underneath... Just another idea for mounting seats that would give you some more storage too...