Evinrude

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a boat with what the owner said was an Evinrude 225hp. He didn't know the year, etc...there is no tag or label of any kind on the motor, not even an Evinrude or 225hp logo on the cowl. I've kind of pinned it down to a 1988 and recently ordered thermostats for a 1988 that were the exact ones that I took out of the motor. So I know I'm closing in anyway. There is a welch plug about the size of a quarter on the rear of the powerhead above the V6 marking. Was told this would be the model number but I can't find any info on it at all. The number is G253240 and if anyone can help with this or send me in the right direction it would be much appreciated, thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude

If you search on google for 88 evinrude 225 serial number. A number of helpful posts come up I found::Red round harness connector 88 and above,port head 2 wire sensor w, w/b and tan wire 88 and above,87 didn't have quick start.Single case power pack in 88.
Also increased in 88 to 3.0.Bore in 88 is 3.685(93.60mm) all others 3.500(88.90mm) stroke before 88 is 2.860 in.(72.64mm) after 87 decrease 2.858in.(72.59mm)

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have tried google before just can't seem to come up with anything...yes i have the single case power pack on mine...will try google some more something is bound to come up

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Call BRP customer service at 1-262-884-5993 and give them that #. Listen to the promps, hit the right one and you should get a live person. Did it just the other day.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Think I sent them an email before but never heard back. Will give em a call.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't get through on the phone, fill out this form, give them the number on the plug and tell them the dealer did not have the information you need to ensure you are ordering the correct parts. It took a few days but they did send a reply with the info I needed.
Bombardier Recreational Products Feedback & Inquiries | BRP USA

BTW, That number on the welch plug is the serial number. In 1988 the the model number, not the serial number was stamped on the plug. I'm not sure what '89's had but it looks like in 1990 they started using the SN instead of the model number.

Just a suggestion, but most people aren't going to look at your thread when your title block is "Re: Evinrude." Also if others are using the search function to find year and model identification, it is not going to find your thread with the answers they need.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Called BRP today after getting the "right" number off the welch plug. Turns out the motor is a 1990 OMC Seadrive 3.0 Liter 225hp.