Moving trolling motor controls and steering

coachd

Recruit
Hey y'all. New guy on here from North Carolina. I've been looking for some how to videos or descriptions to show how to take the head off of a trolling motor and move it to another location of a boat. I've seen it done a bunch of times on kayaks but no one ever tells how to do it. I have a 1970 Sears John boat that was my grandfather's that I have restored to what I think is a kick behind little aluminum boat. I just would like to be able to sit in the seat in the middle instead of in the back especially when I'm by myself. I'm looking for something like the creek boats have for their steering. Also the kayak guys I've seen all over the internet with the foot controlled pulley systems for steering and a box or the head of the kayak up in front with them. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.The boat is back heavy with my front heavy self in the back of the boat. I've used the search feature but maybe I'm not naming it the correct thing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Moving trolling motor controls and steering

You can remove the head of a stern mount motor by removing a couple screws. So you move the head to the desired location but how do you intend to steer it?. The simpler solution would be to install the extended tiller which is available for many trolling motors. Or you could use a little ingenuity and make one.