84 Sea Ray Seville Resto

csray

Cadet
Hi guys I'm new to the forum, but have been reading lots of post on here and am glad there is such a site with so many helpful people. I bought a 19' sea ray seville really cheap and I knew it had rotten stringers before hand. My plan is to replace the stringers, floor/deck, build new jumper seats, have 2 captains/helm seats and then bench seats behind them in place of the sleeper seats. I will also be redoing the side panels, along with the rest of the upholstry, as well a new paint job.

A few question i have are,

1) why laminate 2 pieces of 3/4' plywood for the stringers, wouldnt it be easier going with a full length 2 by 6 or 8?
2) is it wise to go 3/4' for the floor, it was only 1/2' to begin with
3) can i use 1.5 csm all around, or do i need to use biaxial after a layer of csm?
4) there is a section in the hull directly under the ski locker area where the hull seems to be patched, i want to strengthen it up from the inside, what should i use? and then do i grind and gel coat the exterior??
5) can i paint over the gel coat?? i want to completely change the color

Ive attached some pics of the boat, the first 2 are of the area in question 4

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1

csray

Cadet
Re: 84 Sea Ray Seville Resto

some more pics, camera died will be taking more once it charges up

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2

zool

Captain

A few question i have are,

1) why laminate 2 pieces of 3/4' plywood for the stringers, wouldnt it be easier going with a full length 2 by 6 or 8?
2) is it wise to go 3/4' for the floor, it was only 1/2' to begin with
3) can i use 1.5 csm all around, or do i need to use biaxial after a layer of csm?
4) there is a section in the hull directly under the ski locker area where the hull seems to be patched, i want to strengthen it up from the inside, what should i use? and then do i grind and gel coat the exterior??
5) can i paint over the gel coat?? i want to completely change the color

1)Alot of people use dimensional fir lumber, especially for the long lengths.

2)3/4 aruca ply is great for a floor rebuild, and most here try to build it better than original....unless is causes problems at a seam... marine ply would work, but more expensive.

3)U need biaxial whichever resiin you use. If u use epoxy, then just biaxial is fine, if you use Polyester, then CSM and biaxial is recommended. Biaxial gives you the stength.

4)Again, biaxial for structural repairs...

5) Gelcoat if in good condition makes a great sustrate for paint, but if you are repairing, primer is needed, at least over the faired repair...If you prime it all and block it, you get the best results, imo

Is that an OSB hatch cover?:eek:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

The dimensional lumber is not as stable as two pieces of 3/4 ply.

LK

csray

Cadet

Thanks guys, I will be going with plywood for the stringers if its more stable. What would you guys recommend, gluing the stringers down or using a thick blend of resin?

Yess Zool thats osb the previous owner cut a piece to walk over the tank :confused: dont know where the original cover is

I saw someone undercoating the ski locker and tank area, what do you guys think of that?? I was thinking about gel coating them??

so if biaxial is for structure, would it be ok to use csm for the seats and on top of the floor?? dont know the difference in price if there is any, but if its near the same then it would be better going with the biaxial right?

zool

Captain

Thanks guys, I will be going with plywood for the stringers if its more stable. What would you guys recommend, gluing the stringers down or using a thick blend of resin?

Yess Zool thats osb the previous owner cut a piece to walk over the tank :confused: dont know where the original cover is

I saw someone undercoating the ski locker and tank area, what do you guys think of that?? I was thinking about gel coating them??

so if biaxial is for structure, would it be ok to use csm for the seats and on top of the floor?? dont know the difference in price if there is any, but if its near the same then it would be better going with the biaxial right?

Have you decided which type of resin you want to use?

layup Polyester- US composites Approx 30.00/gal with catalyst

Epoxy- US composites approx 70.00/gal with catalyst

West System epoxy 130.00/gal with catalyst

then theres vinylester but...ive vever used it

You may pay more to ship Polyester

If you mean that black auto undercoat?..I wouldnt put in near my boat...Interlux bilgekote works better than fine for lockers, bilges, tank holds, ect.

Are you puttings down carpet, or surfacing a deck?

csray

Cadet

Have you decided which type of resin you want to use?

layup Polyester- US composites Approx 30.00/gal with catalyst

Epoxy- US composites approx 70.00/gal with catalyst

West System epoxy 130.00/gal with catalyst

then theres vinylester but...ive vever used it

You may pay more to ship Polyester

If you mean that black auto undercoat?..I wouldnt put in near my boat...Interlux bilgekote works better than fine for lockers, bilges, tank holds, ect.

Are you puttings down carpet, or surfacing a deck?

I will be using polyester resin, there is a place that sells it local, dont know the price per gallon though.
Yea the black auto undercoating is what they used, but I will look into the interlux bilgekote instead of gel coating them.
I will be putting down carpet.

I was looking into prices for 1.5oz csm and 1708 from the local store, they are charging $6 per square yard of the csm and $20 per square yard of 1708, is it just me or does that seem high?

Im think I need about 15 yards of 1708 and 30 yard of csm. Doing 1 layer of csm on the stringers and 2 of 1708, the floor gets 2 layers of csm and seats get 1 maybe 2 depending on whats left lol...sound right?

Anything i find online wants so much for shipping to canada.

Nodd89

Cadet

Where do u live I'm sure there's a local fiberglass store

csray

Cadet

Where do u live I'm sure there's a local fiberglass store

I live in Vancouver BC, we do have a local place here called industrial plastics and paints, but their prices just seem high to me.

Ninjafied

Seaman

wow our boats are the same, i just dumped over 500 lbs of wet ply and foam from my teardown.
good luck with your rebuild.

Nodd89

Cadet

I live in Vancouver BC, we do have a local place here called industrial plastics and paints, but their prices just seem high to me.

Stuffs not cheap I'm across the pod and use the same place even if they are a smidgen more the advice they have given me makes it's worth it

csray

Cadet

wow our boats are the same, i just dumped over 500 lbs of wet ply and foam from my teardown.
good luck with your rebuild.

Yea i seen yours, looks identical. Yea alot of removal, I'm in construction and i have a big bin in my backyard so it wasnt to much of a hassel for me. Thanks and good luck on yours too.

csray

Cadet

Stuffs not cheap I'm across the pod and use the same place even if they are a smidgen more the advice they have given me makes it's worth it

I'm actually in langley but vancouver is more recognizable lol. I agree with you there, they do know alot and are willing to help you out with any questions. I found a really fair priced place near bellingham, its a 45 min drive across the border, might go get my material from there. They are called fibreglass supply.

csray

Cadet

Make sure they ship to Canada!

I emailed them for a quote for shipping, they wanted $100. Fiberglass supply isnt to far away from me and i save soo much thru them than my local store. Its worth the drive across the border.

csray

Cadet

I have a question about the hull, as you can see in the pictures above there is a patch spot. I was going to paint the whole boat, but should i grind that area and gelcoat it first?? I'm far from that stage but I can only dream of its coming sooner lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to paint it, there's no need to gelcoat it. Sand, fair, prime and paint.