Length of winch strap

67GTA

Seaman Apprentice
I need to replace the winch strap. The one on now is 15' long. The boat is a 19' Cobalt.
My thinking is to get one that would at least reach the back of the trailer as the current one would be short of that. What length would you recomend.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Length of winch strap

It's not how long the boat is. It's how long you need to reach from the winch to the bow eye. When you retrieve the bow is usually partially on the trailer. I have a twenty foot strap and about the most I've used is 6 feet, if that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well I too have thought of this exact same thing as well. I am going to get one that is at least as long as my trailer (from the winch to the tail section that is) for one very good reason. If you ever have to winch your boat on your trailer from the ground, you at least need a strap long enough to reach the boat. I had a friend that sprayed his boat runners (bunks) down with a can of silicone spray and one day as he was getting his turn to launch his boat, he took all the straps and safety chains off the boat to launch it as quickly as possible being how there were many folks lined up to launch also. Well as he started to back up he stopped short of the water and his boat slide off onto the ramp nowhere near the water line... Red faced as he was, he had no option then to winch it back on the trailer and then back up some more to the water to launch as many ill on-lookers watch in wonder and eyes-rolling... So you just never know when you may need a strap as long as your trailer...it only takes one time! :facepalm: :embarassed:

67GTA

Seaman Apprentice

What gm280 said is what I was thinking. I never use more than the first 6' or so, but if I need it longer and have the room on the winch reel for a longer one, I don't see anything wrong with getting a longer one. Am I thinking correct or is there something that I'm overlooking.

UncleWillie

Captain

The longer the strap, the larger the full winch spool is going to be, and the harder it is going to be to winch it on because of the lost mechanical advantage. Short straps winch easier.

If you ever need to lengthen the strap because you dry launched the boat or backed the trailer off the end of the ramp, The strap could be temporarily lengthened by using your dock or anchor lines as extensions.

Never, NEVER!, unhook the winch strap until the boat is over the water and you want it to go in!
Trying to save 20 seconds will cost you an hour one day.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

If you ever need to lengthen the strap because you dry launched the boat or backed the trailer off the end of the ramp, The strap could be temporarily lengthened by using your dock or anchor lines as extensions.

Never, NEVER!, unhook the winch strap until the boat is over the water and you want it to go in!

^^^+1

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

The longer the strap, the larger the full winch spool is going to be, and the harder it is going to be to winch it on because of the lost mechanical advantage. Short straps winch easier.

Explains why my old boat trailer had 2 speed and always enjoyed having the extra length as it came into play a few times on unimproved launchings.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and there are us salt water boaters who do not dunk the trailer--we need a winch strap or cable all the way back.