boat vinyl flooring over aluminum floor

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have purchased a pretty decent boat except lots of nasty carpet due to it being used for fishing. I want to pull the carpet and replace with vinyl flooring - only question is that the floor is aluminum -

Does the boat vinyl flooring work well over aluminum? Do I use the same type of glue?

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat vinyl flooring over aluminum floor

I recently applied Nautolex on both wood and aluminum in my Statcraft restoration.

The only difference between the two is that on the wood I used the Nautolex 88 adhesive and on the aluminum I used contact cement.

It worked well for me.

-Mark

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was that a spray adhesive like they sell at NAPA - or would brush on do fine.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

For the best results you should remove your aluminum decking and apply the vinyl to it wrapping the vinyl around to the back of the decking for a secure installation.

Marine vinyl with "loose" edges (edges not wrapped around to the back of the piece being covered) have to be held mechanically. This is best accomplished with a piece of flat aluminum sock bar or angle.

Marine vinyl with "loose" edges that have only been glued will pull away from the covered piece over time and "curl"... I know this from past experience.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was that a spray adhesive like they sell at NAPA - or would brush on do fine.

This is the contact cement I used. I don't know if you've ever worked with the stuff before but you apply a coat with a brush on the vinyl and a coat on the aluminum and then wait 15 minutes or so until it dries then put the pieces together. Once the pieces are together you cannot move them so make sure you get it aligned before putting them together.

Listen to jigngrub....he has helped me a lot in my resto....good information.

-Mark

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the contact cement I used. I don't know if you've ever worked with the stuff before but you apply a coat with a brush on the vinyl and a coat on the aluminum and then wait 15 minutes or so until it dries then put the pieces together. Once the pieces are together you cannot move them so make sure you get it aligned before putting them together.

Listen to jigngrub....he has helped me a lot in my resto....good information.

-Mark

+1!! jigngrub has been a lifesaver with his advise for vinyl on my resto. I used the same contact cement on both wood and alum and am very pleased. Like stated, after applying to both surfaces, allow it 15-20 before putting them together. I used a brush to apply glue to surfaces and Bondo Spreaders (3-Pack)-357 at The Home Depot to apply to vinyl