Throttle Lever is loose

Ethanlooy

Cadet
I have a 19' Bayliner capri 1986. My throttle lever is either broken or very hord to figure out when it comes to giving it gas without putting it in gear.. i was told that if you pull it and then rotate it will be a throttle. but does anyone know about mine for sure? does anyone have a schematics of it because im thinking about taking it apart to clean it and tighten it up.

photo 2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Throttle Lever is loose

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It says right on it, Pull for Throttle....

Ethanlooy

Cadet

Ok thank you. when I pull it though it is all floppy and I can rotate it all the way around and it's not moving the throttle in the engine compartment at all.

captmello

Captain

Ya, doesn't sound good, Does it move the linkage at the carb when operating it without pulling the handle out?

Ethanlooy

Cadet

So does anyone have a diagram of the shift lever assembly?

captmello

Captain

You may want to check out the bayliner forums. That isn't really a Volvo Penta part. If the assembly has broken parts, it may not be possible to find replacement parts. however, there were probably a lot of old bayliners with that same control, so you may call around to some marine salvage yards to look for a replacement or one one to take parts from. you'll have to remove the handle and mounting hardware and drop it down and out from the back.