2 Cycle motor oil ...but what brand? Please help.

costy

Seaman Apprentice
I am still having problems with my 4.5 hp 1983 Seahorse I went to the dealership and they sold me the Johnson/Evinrude brand and I am not sure if it is the oil in the mixture but after rebuilding the carburetor and the fuel pump I am still having issues with Carb leaks and lots of crud build up inside of the cylinders.
I called the previous owner and he told me that he had no such issues and the brand he used was Castrol 2T and never had a problem.

Is it possible that the Johnson Evinrude oil is technologically advanced for my old motor? The issues I am having is because the oil is too refined for an old worn out motor?

Does anybody recommend a specific brand?
Ps. my compression is 89 and 92 which I think is pretty good.

thanks, Costy

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 Cycle motor oil ...but what brand? Please help.

Changing oil brands won't fix a leaky carb. Sounds like your mixture is too rich or the oil/gas ratio is high. (too much oil).

costy

Seaman Apprentice

Hi and thanks for your reply. I am running 1/50 mixture (per dealership recommendation) but I am not sure if I have the lean/rich dial in correctly.

Costy

papachaz

Seaman

crud in the carbs sounds like ethanol rotting the fuel lines from the inside out. have you changed the lines? the alcohol resistant ones are more expensive per foot, but, worth the 'no trouble' factor in the future.

where are the leaks coming from? around the gaskets, or is it running back out from the throat of the carbs? if that's it, the float is set wrong

costy

Seaman Apprentice

Never changed the lines but I am looking in to doing that and there is fuel coming out of the air intake dripping in to the engine bowl and down the outside of the shaft. I reseted the float several times and I think I got it right every time (when the carb is inverted and try blowing in to the fuel intake line no air goes through but when upright the air goes through) and I am talking a new carb kit with new needle and set.

Thanks, Costy

Bill1974

Cadet

To see if your float is set right, you can hold the carb upside down and if the float is level it is set right.