temperate warning switch

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just put in a new temperate warning switch now the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep wont stop. I replaced it due to the wire was frayed. It was new out of the package. So i unhooked the blk wire (ground) from the head then it stopped. does this mean my temperate warning switch is bad? I was told to drop it in some hot water for about 5min then reinstall it. if anyone has an opinion on this plz let me know if ive just pissed away 50 bucks:eek:

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: temperate warning switch

The way those things work it that as they heat up, they drop their resistance to ground. If you have a voltmeter, you could check your resistance between the block and the tab on the sending unit and see if it's in spec. Then start the motor up and see if the resistance begins to go down as the block heats up.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I'll try that thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If it's the switch and not the OT sensor which drives a dial indicator, it is a thermostatic snap action switch that snaps closed (short circuit....to ground) at about 195F. Recovery temp is about 175F and the stats start to open at about 143F. The safe mode for the tan wire is open circuited.

Mark

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh there is no heat at all I haven't even started the motor as soon as I turn the key
The beeeeeeep started that's why I was thinking it was a bad part the boat is still in my garage
I just been doing some pre season fixes so do u think I should drop it in some hot water an reinstall
It like I was told to do to break it in?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Never heard of breaking one in. You either have a shorted switch or you pinched a wire or something. For you to experience the warning immediately upon turning the ign. sw. to ON indicates a short on the tan/tan lt. blue stripe wire.

Just go back to the sensor and pull the tan wire out of the socket. Then test the horn. If there is no noise your problem is right there, sensor or pinched wire. Nowadays you usually get working parts so it's strange that you would get one malfunctioning.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The way those things work it that as they heat up, they drop their resistance to ground. If you have a voltmeter, you could check your resistance between the block and the tab on the sending unit and see if it's in spec. Then start the motor up and see if the resistance begins to go down as the block heats up.

This is not a resistive element as would be used with a temperature gauge. It is a simple on/off switch that closes when an overheat condition is reached.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Are you certain you bought a temperature SWITCH, and not a temperature SENDER? Temperature SENDERS are resistive elements (33-240 homs) and are used with a temperature gauge. A temperature SWITCH is simply an ON/OFF type switch. It closes when the engine reaches an overheat condition. The switch applies ground to the horn. Use an ohm meter to verify what you have. If you have a sender, it's resistance will measure somewhere between 33 and 240 ohms depending on room temperature. If you have a SWITCH, it should read open circuit at room temperature.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm positive I get a sensor the sender is on the other side it's a brass part
This part is, Temperature SENSOR 13536A 7. I'm thinking its abad part they are not tan w/blue anymore just tan
I called several boat parts company's the new new ones are just tan . But any who, I unhooked the tan wire it stop
I tool the other 2 wires out the circuit an hook up only that 1 it went off (bad part) just ordered a another new 1

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok got a new 1 still the same thing, I cased down the alarm wire tan/blue for cracks
But nothing, everything is ok nothing else is setting alarm off I started last weekend
This is stressing me out