1989 johnson 110hp vro

larkins24

Recruit
I am having a problem with my engine. It is running really rough and it has no power. To get it started I have it fully chocked or click it right into gear or it stalls out. Then when I do get it to run and I put it full go it has no power it will only go about 25mph. Before this it use to go about 40mph. I am wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what might be wrong with it and what might be the problem. Thanks.

Re: 1989 johnson 110hp vro

welcome

normally we start with a health check then basic service and that fixes most problems.
Health check : compression test (borrow one from autoparts store and have them load test the battery for free while you are there). buy a spark tester as its a tool thats worth having. once you know the compression is good and you have a good spark on all cylinders then servicing the carbs, water pump and replacing spark plugs (all easy jobs). There are videos on you-tube that show a outboard carb rebuild so you can see whats involved.
1989 Johnson Evinrude 110 hp Outboard Parts by Model Number this will give you a idea on costs for the carb kits a impellor and plugs but its always compression test first

generally most problems are detected and fixed by the time you have done the above and we can help you with anything thats either a problem or is diffrent from most