Spindle shaft ??

rbthom

Recruit
I have a 4.3 Merc Alfa drive that when I go slow no problem. When I give it the gas, it will "spin" and not go anywhere. I was thinking it could be the propeller insert, but it looks good. If is the drive shaft spindle, can it be just the shaft and not the spindle housing on the back of the motor? I replaced the spindle housing about 6 years ago(what a hard job!)
Thanks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Spindle shaft ??

Welcome aboard!

A couple of things first - it is called a coupler, not spindle housing. Just so we are all clear. ;)

Easiest thing to do is mark the prop on the outside and inside then use the boat. See if the lines are still lined up. Or simply use a spare prop to see. You can't really tell if it is good by simply looking at it. Otherwise it is more than likely your coupler.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Spindle shaft ??

I have a 4.3 Merc Alfa drive that when I go slow no problem. When I give it the gas, it will "spin" and not go anywhere. I was thinking it could be the propeller insert, but it looks good. If is the drive shaft spindle, can it be just the shaft and not the spindle housing on the back of the motor? I replaced the spindle housing about 6 years ago(what a hard job!)
Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Did you Align it when ya did the job,..??
Have ya had the drive off since,..??

Pull it Now, 'n the Problem should be quite obvious, whether it's the coupler, the shaft, or both....