Transom panic

marksmith

Cadet
I've been poken around my project (literally poking) to find out the extent of work i will need todo. Some of my transom is soft and black around the lower motor mount bolts. The clamp area behind the splaswell seems fine. I can see bare wood in there. My lower transom area has another layer of plywood, (Rotten), over the transom wall that goes from hull to the transom top. It seems there is a inner skin behind the extra plywood for the lower mount bolts or just a layer of thick resin. Have you guys seen a transom with no inside skin just plywood? It is a 86, 18 foot BAYLINER trophy. No signs of transom bulge or sagging. All I see is some very fine cracks where the transom and splashwell rises up to the top. Too many words I know. Thanks

Express390

Recruit
Re: Transom panic

Most Transoms are made of two 3/4 inch Plywood glassed in the transom. Please do this right and never come back.<br />Pull motor, rip out old ply and replce with new and reglass/seal with gelcoat. <br />Comes out easy since it is wet sawdust towards the bottom.<br />good luck. Express 390

play2win

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Transom panic

I am replacing transom on my checkmate, cutting wood for contour of boat proved to be difficult, even with templates. There are very tiny voids on certain parts, what should I use to fill these voids, and when in the process of cloth/epoxy/plywood procedure?