What do you guys think?55 cd-12

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice
i found this little guy on CL today, going to pick it up tomorrow , I figure there cant be to much wrong with it, ive down 5 outboards to date, and id like to get my hands dirty on a 50s model, as all my previous have been 60-70s models...he took my offer of 40$ so heck its worth that as a wall hanger, or future parts i figure at the least........5 1/2 Hp Johnson

Rick.

Captain
Re: What do you guys think?55 cd-12

I think you got a heck of a deal. I hope you enjoy working on it and It proves to be trouble free. Is it a 55? Sure looks familiar. IMG_1975.jpg Best of luck. Rick.

lindy46

Captain

Good deal! Parts are worth more than that. I have a CD12 I just went through and she's a great little runner.

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

got it to the house, dang this thing is pretty cherry!!

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

has great compression, reminds me of starting my dads old stilhl chainsaws from the 50's the 056 and the like....

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thats a gem. i would clean her up really well get all the grease off that you can, then give it some clear coat. i use duplicolor clear engine paint. good score! ya know, it starts with one.... then another..... then..... :)
change the ignition, reseal the lower unit, and you will have a great little runner.
here is my little johnson 5.5. they run soooo smooth. should start with not even a full pull even when its cold.

dino

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice

i started last year with a 71' evinrude cherry 4hp, tuned it up proper, then got a 9.5 johnson 66', then got a 5 hp mint unused 67' johnson last week, and now this one...i am falling in love with these motors and the joy i get from bringing them back to life!!!i have a 14ft fiberglass jon i use for catfishing, adn a 1969 smokercraft 12' v jon i use for bass and crappie at the smaller lakes, the feber boat is really deep and wide and holds the deep water very well

Rick.

Captain

Very nice. They are addictive but even more so when they look that good. Rick.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The old green CD's are great little motors. I used to have three of them, but now am down to two. Additionally, I have a CD-14 and a 1958 Fisherman. So, technically, I still have four of them. Run that motor at 16:1 and keep fresh oil in the lower unit and it'll last you for years. That motor would be worth every penny, to go through completely and give it, a major tune up. Refurbish, the entire ignition system, replace the impeller and re=seal the lower unit, if it needs it.