A fishing boat and motor light enough for two to carry up and down river bank?

Winats2

Cadet
We can trailer it to the river, but there is no boat launch near us, so I thought we would hand launch it.

I assume aluminum would be lighter than fiberglass.

Plan to fish from it.

River runs too fast to paddle back upstream.

Any suggestions?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A fishing boat and motor light enough for two to carry up and down river bank?

A Grumman Sport Boat and a 70s JohnnyRude 6.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Re: A fishing boat and motor light enough for two to carry up and down river bank?

Yes, aluminum is lighter mostly, for 2 fishermen 14' (12' is too short) and any 8 to 15 HP johnson Evinrude will all weigh close to the same and get you around.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've hand launched a basic 14' aluminum boat that we stripped EVERYTHING out of and it was still no picnic. How far do you have to haul it? We only had to go 80' and barely made it but admit we had some rough terrain to cross. Both of us are sturdy contractors so it's not like we have soft hands but still.....no way we could have hauled a 14' glass boat. About 3 more trips to get all the gear, motor, gas, cooler etc. loaded. After that, we went looking for ramps, no matter how crude.

Winats2

Cadet

That Gruman looks like a canoe we could put a motor on. Might be just what we need. Or maybe one of those shallow plastic things. But I don't know whether it would be safe on the river.

We'll be using that white rocky area to the lower left mid-section of the photo. We will have about 50 feet. Down the bank will be a lot easier than back up. I'd estimate the drop to be 10 - 20 feet from road to water. rivlaunch.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

look at Ghenoe brans as well.

there are lots of dollies made for canoes and kayaks, some with bicycle wheels

You can also use rollers (depending on the ground surface). get round landscape poles or PVC about 4" in diameter.

consider carrying board skids, especially for dragging it up.

a 20' drop on 50' is quite a climb.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a 10' Lowes Lake John that would ride 2 ok with a 7 1/2 Merc and 3 1/2 gallon gas can. I worked the creeks and log jams for years. Could pull it myself. Just don't overload with tackle, or take the takle out, transport it and come back for it.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check the various boat manufacturer web sites for boats called "Car Toppers". They are typically 12 footers and are very light. A 5 - 9.9 motor would be adequate for power.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you might look at inflatables. I have an old hypalon 11 footer weighs about 75 pounds and can take up to 20HP

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Winats. You may want to look into a boat called a Gheenoe. They're a regional builder here in FL with a huge following. The boats are essentially hot rod, flat back, fiberglass canoes that can handle anything from a paddle up, or reach 20mph using a 10hp outboard. They are easily portaged, or loaded on to a car top if need be. Folks use them down here for everything from gator hunting to lazy trips down the river. They come in any color imaginable and can be modified endlessly. They're like the Mini Cooper of boats. Here are some links to them in action to give you an idea of what they can do.

GHEENOE BOATS CANOE Best Most Affordable boat designer Harley Gheen explains why! 321-267-4953 - YouTube (Mr. Gheen himself)

Four Custom Gheenoe Lo Tide 25s Running the St Johns 07302011 - YouTube (cruisin' on the St. John's with various hot rod configs)

Custom Gheenoe boats flying by - YouTube (tiller and grab bar set up)

Gheenoe Forum Camping Trip - Anclote River - YouTube (Gheenoe Rally here in FL)

1 Man Cartop Gheenoe or Canoe Carrier - YouTube (light enough for one person to load on to a car)

GEOFISH Trailer on Vimeo (Gheenoe world tour. I told you they can do anywhere)

Winats2

Cadet

Thanks!

There is a used kevlar canoe up here too. Don't know about putting a motor on it, but it should be light.

My kid has seen fishing kayaks too. Yesterday he said he's seen motors on them. Maybe they make ones for two.

Winats2

Cadet

Ha Ha! Fha4304, Harley Gheen invented the gheenoe after his canoe flipped over. So much for my fishing from a canoe idea. Good thing he was in a beaver creek.

Obviously from the videos they work fine. I thought the sides looked a little short for waves, but I don't recall seeing any big waves on the rivers around here. Or, if there are, we'll fish from the bank that day.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Can't you just have your minions carry it?

A few years ago, my fishing buddy and I fished trapper's lake in the flat-tops wilderness. You have to carry your boat 1/4 mile to put-in. We just carried our canoe that far. They make canoes with transoms - it would be easy to add a small motor.

bekosh

Lieutenant

My first boat was a little 12 foot fiberglass Gaycraft with a 1963 5.5hp Evinrude. The wife and I fished from it without a problem and the two of us could pick it up and carry it if we needed to. We would carry our gear and motor separate. So I wouldn't totally write off a small fiberglass boat as an option.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This really is about how big and strong you are.

A 12-14' aluminum jon is good.

The large bicycle tire dolly is a good idea.

And a Porta-Bote is good. I have fished from a 12' with a 4 hp.
Last year, we had 3 adults (600#) with a 6 hp, in one of the newer 14' Porta-Botes.
They are pricey, a little hard to sell, but when you do, you will get your money back out of it.

They are tough as nail. The guy we went with drags his behind his atv.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you deside to go with a john boat. Buy or built a boat cart or dolly with bicycle tirs. The one I have is great. I got it to move gf's dad 14' boat to the lake. He lives 200' form it and has no trailer or boat ramp. I got tried of making two or three trips over the ruff ground. I also use it with my boat and trailer for some of the ponds around us. I strap it on the boat, unlaod it from the trailer, and of we go.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Gheenoe's are good, but heavy.

I have a 13' and the one time I had to get it from the back of my truck to the water, it was a real chore. It is about 120 lbs. And since it is fiberglass, you have to be pretty careful to not let it hit rocks or drag it at all. I made the mistake of dragging it 50' or so on a nice grassy area...it wore away the gelcoat at the back edge of the keel. If it were on gravel or rocks, it would have been much worse.

Gheenoes are great out on the water though.

Winats2

Cadet

Nearest Gheenoe dealer is three states away, about a 10 - 14 hour one way drive. Lots on craigslist, but most also a long way away.

Maybe there is a northern version of something similar, except made of aluminum so it is lighter.

Local police river patrol told me I'd need a 10 hp motor to get back upstream. S to be safe I'd have to go with the Gheenoe classic that has the wider beam and can take a 25 hp motor. Weighs 225 lbs but my kid and I test lifted 225 today and we can do it. Will still have to figure a way to deal with the river bank.

Someone locally is selling a 41 lb aluminum canoe with flotation sponsons and a motor mount, but it is only rated for 3 hp. I thought adding outriggers to it might have worked.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

That must be one heck of a river to need a 10 hp to fight the current.

I get in some swift rivers and a 9.5 pushes my 14' jon at 15+ mph.
My uncle fishes the same river in a 15' v hull with a 6 hp, runs 10+ mph.

Really don't think you need that much power.
Keep the weight down. A 25 hp will weigh 125-145# depending on make and model. They are awkward and hard to put on the boat.

6 hp 60#
10 hp 80#

14' jon will weigh between 113 and 190#, depending on make.

You can get the boat, motor, gas, gear, and anchor for between 250-270#.

Bolt an extra grab handle on the outside, about 6' back from the bow, one man on each side and up the hill you go.