Cost to rebuild transom and stringers?

wojciecj

Cadet
I am interested in buying this boat for a project this summer. I was told by the seller that the transom and stringers are in "ok" condition. What would be the cost of rebuild the transom and stringers (please provide individual prices). How practical would it be for me to replace the transom on my own?74 starcraft 120 merc inboard.jpg74 starcraft engine.jpg74 starcraft interior.jpg

Attachments

• 74 starcraft outdrive.jpg
    74 starcraft outdrive.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 74 starcraft interior.jpg
    74 starcraft interior.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cost to rebuild transom and stringers?

What Yr. is she? What Motor is that? What Outdrive does she have? PO's don't always Know about the condition of the transom and stringers. I highly recommend that you do your own inspection. A Closed bow I/0 Speedboat, is kinda like a 2 Seater sports car. Real Nice for you and your significant other to go cruisin in, but for a family....Uhmmmm Not so much. Just some things to think about before you go putting 2-3 Grand of your money and 100 hours possibly of your Blood, Sweat and Tears into this project. JMHO.;)

wojciecj

Cadet

It's a 1974 starcraft powered by a 120 merc engine with a matching outdrive.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Typically you don't replace one without the other. They are integrated into the boat and if one is bad the other is too! Not Always but generally speaking this is the case. To replace the transom and stringers you also have to remove and replace the deck. So to do All three the cost in materials for that boat would be, My Guess-Ti-Mate, approx. $1,000 - $1.500 bucks ( if the motor is good and requires only typical tune up and maintenance and you already have most of the tools required for the work) and about 100 -150 hours of your time.

tpenfield

Staff member

Are you looking for D-I-Y costs (i.e. materials/tools) or repair shop costs?

My SWAG is $1500+ D-I-Y

$4K repair shop

Stringers & transom

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

50 hours in to mine,so far about $350. Bucks. Still need to do stringers,carpet,seats.....
image.jpgimage.jpg
Big job,if I had to take it to a shop at $80.00 an hour.....wow
Grub