Putting motor on boat

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone out there ever put a 10 to 15 horse on a bass boat for smaller horsepower lakes? I have a 18 foot glass project boat with a bad motor. I was wanting know any good or bad stories on changing to a small motor. Thanks very much.

matt167

Captain
Re: Putting motor on boat

You will only get displacement speeds ( HS = 1.34 x √LWL is the calculation ). You can probably see 7-10 MPH but at some point in that time your just pushing the boat wasting gas,

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

be sure it reaches the water!

in some conditions an underpowered boat is dangerous b/c you can't make it to safety against big wind and/or currents, but I don't know if that applies to you. Also depends on whether you plan on going solo or with your fat friends.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Also if you do it find the largest diameter, smallest pitch prop you can find. It will help a lot and save the engine.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

There's a great difference in punch between newer 10 and 15 HP horses, most 10 are restricted versions of the 15. If lake permits bit higher HP and 2 strokes horses go for a 2 strokes 18 HP. Weights same as any 10-15 HP and with extra 3 HP punch that will make more of a difference...

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A friend has an 18" glass trihull bowrider with a 9.9 on it. All he does is fish. He successfully runs it in the heavy current of the Mighty Niagara and has a ball every time out. Its set up with controls but sometimes he uses the tiller. The "sailboat" prop lets the engine rev quite well.

Different strokes....