Bravo-III failed inner prop shaft seal

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fresh bottom paint, new anodes, and all the other little stuff crossed off the list, the boat was ready for spring!
...until I noticed a nice puddle of gear lube under the (recently repaired) outdrive :facepalm:. Local shop wants $700 to replace the inner propshaft seal (not including the removal of the drive, which is being handeled independantly).

Does this sound about right? Should I have them replace anything else while they're elbow-deep in the outdrive? I *am* glad that I noticed it in storage, instead of AFTER it blew up from using it with low lube / a bad seal all summer.

Thanks!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bravo-III failed inner prop shaft seal

Well, we will probably need one of the guys that know exactly what things are called to clarify this but if you look at the parts list in the diagram in the link below, I wonder if they are talking about #37; $45 part.

Last year on my Bravo3 I had to replace the upper drive shaft seal as it was leaking oil into the bellows, I also decided to replace the lower bearing carrier assembly (#39 in the diagram that includes parts through #42 already installed) as it was pretty corroded.
Other than being almost a $400 part and needing a $125 tool along with much strength to get it off, wasn't too bad.

So if indeed it is the item #37 they will be replacing, I would hope they also replace the other seal(#42) if recommended. Or if your bearing carrier is suspect then replace that also for another $400. As I did not go deep enough into mine to know what's involved with replacing #37 if indeed that is the seal, I can not say if that is really a good price or not.

GEAR HOUSING(BRAVO III)(ONE PIECE HOUSING) - Performance Product Technologies

Mark

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help mark.

This '94 Larson Cabrio 280 is my first boat, and I knew the hobby wasn't going to be cheap, but sheesh, I get the point already!!
I think it's actually #47, the larger seal. Nonetheless it's a $47 part, so does ~$650 in labor make sense? I’ll probably have them inspect the barring carrier assembly while they’re in there and replace if necessary, I’ve heard horror stories about that failing frequently too. Like I said, I knew this would be pricey, and I’d rather pay a premium to make sure things are done properly, but I just want to make sure that I’m getting a reasonable estimate on the job, and not getting taken advantage of because the seasons coming up quickly.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it's actually #47, the larger seal. Nonetheless it's a $47 part, so does ~$650 in labor make sense?

You must have a typeo in what you replied as #47 is a screw. Did you mean #42?

Mark

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

So,

They drained the out-drive and split the lower unit. The shop's got it apart, and it looks like:
a) Both the inner propshaft seal, AND the outer propshaft seal are leaking & need replacing
b) The seals are leaking because both propshafts have a groove in them, and will need to be replaced ( $$$)
c) The receiver is corroded, and that'll ALSO need to be replaced

So, moving forward, I'm looking at the cost for these parts on a Bravo-III new, and each propshaft is nearly $1,000 a piece, in addition to the receiver which is about $400. I'm noticing however, that the same parts sell used on Ebay for ~$250 and appear to be in good shape. Is there anything wrong / to watch out for if I replace the parts with used parts in good condition?

Also, If I'm putting the cash into the lower unit, I want to make DAMN sure the corrosion won't be a problem again. I noticed one of the ground wires on the outside of the outdrive wasn't connected as it should have been. Could this have caused the issue? Moving forward, I want to test the MerCathode system, but was also thinking of adding a galvanic isolator. Thoughts?

Like I said in the OP, i knew the damn thing would be expensive, but I haven't had it for even a year and have already dropped ~$3,000 in repairs. I'm not opposed to spending the cash to make sure stuff is done right, but I want to make sure everything is in-place to ensure further damage doesn't occur.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sure some of the "pro" buy-used-on-ebay guys will be along soon to try and convince you to save the $$ and buy used, I'm not one of them as there's no way I would do that for my Bravo 3.

The only exception would be IF it was purchased used locally and the guy I have doing the installation had a chance to put those fancy tools on the shafts to make sure they were within spec and really good enough to install.

Mark

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

So,

They drained the out-drive and split the lower unit. The shop's got it apart, and it looks like:
a) Both the inner propshaft seal, AND the outer propshaft seal are leaking & need replacing
b) The seals are leaking because both propshafts have a groove in them, and will need to be replaced ( $$$)
c) The receiver is corroded, and that'll ALSO need to be replaced

So, moving forward, I'm looking at the cost for these parts on a Bravo-III new, and each propshaft is nearly $1,000 a piece, in addition to the receiver which is about $400. I'm noticing however, that the same parts sell used on Ebay for ~$250 and appear to be in good shape. Is there anything wrong / to watch out for if I replace the parts with used parts in good condition?

Also, If I'm putting the cash into the lower unit, I want to make DAMN sure the corrosion won't be a problem again. I noticed one of the ground wires on the outside of the outdrive wasn't connected as it should have been. Could this have caused the issue? Moving forward, I want to test the MerCathode system, but was also thinking of adding a galvanic isolator. Thoughts?

Like I said in the OP, i knew the damn thing would be expensive, but I haven't had it for even a year and have already dropped ~$3,000 in repairs. I'm not opposed to spending the cash to make sure stuff is done right, but I want to make sure everything is in-place to ensure further damage doesn't occur.

JR Marine repairs those shafts for 275 each. A lot less money for you. Shaft repair

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mischief Managed,

The guy who has the lower is a merc dealer, and said the groove in the outer is too deep to resurface the thing. Some of the Ebay vendors said they'll pay for return shipping if the part isn't up to snuff once its received, which seems pretty appealing. If the part isn't mechanically complicated, and is just a machined hunk of metal, I don't see the benefit of buying it new. Especially if the new $1,000 part is just as likely to incur premature damage via fishline or whatever as a used part of 1/3 the cost.

TilliamWe

Banned

I'll speak on your corrosion issue. B3s are prone to it. What you are calling the "receiver" is surely the "rear bearing carrier". And it is the first thing to go, yep. Mercathode has to be working properly, anodes have to be correct for your water type, and an isolator is a good idea. Just make sure it's all hooked up correctly.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

TilliamWe,

You're absolutely right. "rear bearing carrier" it is. Doesn't seem to be many of these used too. I'll sure as hell be over-doing it with regards to sacrificial anodes and testing for electrolysis.

The prop shafts for the B3s all seem to have light wear by the seals. What causes this? fault of design, or some avoidable misuse or lack of care?