1972 65 hp JohnnyRude Fuse Question

yamahale

Cadet
Hi all, I was wondering off the tops of your head what that short glass 20A fuse protects, other than the choke solenoid and the starter circuit. If it was blown would it cause the electric shift to default to forward? I have the wiring diagram in front of me and that seems to be the case but I was looking for real world stuff. I just bought this boat and the shifting was fine on the muffs, but then it stopped working. I was having safety switch adjustment issues (but didn't know it yet) and it wasn't turning over, then I found the blown fuse.
TIA

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 65 hp JohnnyRude Fuse Question

What happened when you replaced the fuse ??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The fuse protects all the circuits fed by the ignition switch, yes including the shift. However, the shift switch has a second supply input, fed by the alternator via a pair of diodes at the terminal strip on the motor. That second supply would allow shifting when the motor is running (It has to be running in order to shift anyway). But if you were to be troubleshooting the shift circuit, it might be a bit mysterious with a blown fuse if you don't understand the whole picture.

yamahale

Cadet

Well it was getting dark (and cold lol) so I didn't fire it up again that night. I was thinking about modernizing it with a blade fuse anyways, has anyone else tried this?

yamahale

Cadet

Thanks F_R that makes sense. I had been troubleshooting the starting circuit actually, I jumped the solenoid and noticed it was in gear(with the neutral button depressed) while it was running. The fuse broke, not blew, from me disturbing its 40 year old embrace while troubleshooting the no start, which turned out to be the safety switch adjustment.....