1991 superfisherman rebuild

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, now that we have decided that we will nix the pontoon and keep the sfm, its time to rebuild and make some changes. the casting deck in the front will have to go for more of a bowrider configuration. I will also need to add some more seating.

How she sits right now. Not bad shape but has some rotten wood and a few soft spots on the floor.

DSCN0333_zps00ccc5d2.jpg

everything stripped up to the casting deck

DSCN0355_zps0c7f148b.jpg

Livewell full of water?? Not even shure how that happens.

DSCN0356_zpsed1b88b5.jpg

Livewell and casting deck removed.

DSCN0359_zpseb94132d.jpg

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1991 superfisherman rebuild

First piece of deck removed. Looks like most of the decking will be in good enough shape for templates.I think all those stinkbugs will work as flotation.

DSCN0362_zps49a8166a.jpg

I figured it was there, but I was hoping not. A hole for when they pour in the foam. Looks like I'm going to have some fun.

DSCN0361_zps3751e3a9.jpg

Not alot to see yet. Was hoping to get more done today, but I would have needed a midget with a screw gun to get any farther. Damn starcraft and their hidden screws and rivets. If the weather holds, maybe have some time to work on her tomorrow after work.

chad

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

awe man, calm before the storm! it's about to get all real up-in-there!

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat doesn't look too bad. Its nice having a decent boat to start off with, not soo much to fix. I find its hard to really do a complete teardown though. I have done several other projects where all I can think as i'm taking it apart is "Is this worth it?" but in the end it always is. :D

wheeldriver

Seaman

Wow cool a tear down of a 1991, looks like fun. Hope you take lots of pics of the interior of the bare hull. I'm curious if they do the keel guard different then say the 1970's generation.

64osby

Admiral

You may have dry foam, at least you can hope.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where are you guys picking up gluvit? Local stores or is that something I need to get online? If online, where's the best place to pick some up? How much will I need for this size hull? (19')

chad

dozerII

Admiral

Good start on the demolition TCM. I'm pretty sure most guys buy Gluvit on Line, but probably a different place than we do up here. Depending on the temp you might get away with a quart, but even real warm it will be nip and tuck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Where are you guys picking up gluvit? Local stores or is that something I need to get online? If online, where's the best place to pick some up? How much will I need for this size hull? (19')

chad

Order it from Defender or Jamestown Distributors. Iboats' price sucks. You're going to be in a tough spot quantity-wise. The quart size JUST did my 18'. Your boat is more substantial.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This will be a great project!

Check JMS Marine for the Gluvit and you'll prolly need to go to the gallon size:thumb:

barato2

Commander

i think you get some kind of medal for bravery....you KNOW there's poured foam under there and you're still going in......

BonairII

Commander

i think you get some kind of medal for bravery....you KNOW there's poured foam under there and you're still going in......

IIWM, I'd drill some core samples in the foam....if its dry....I'd leave it in.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, my first major blunder happened yesterday w/o me knowing. My wife was helping clean up a little, and threw out my console caps by accident. They went out with the trash. In her defence, they were broken, but I was going to repair and repaint them. For the main fact that I had nothing else to use. I'm lost now. How do you replace them?? No way am I going to pay factory prices, or even ebay prices for that matter. Any ideas? Its just the plastic dash pieces, I still have the rest.

DSCN0337_zpsde0b1bfe.jpg

and2ram

Seaman

Check out Great Lakes Angler, google...not exaclty cheap either but aside from waiting for something to show up on CL or making your own I'm not sure what else you could do.

barato2

Commander

OK, now you need to think strategic. if you work it right and finesse her into major guilt trip, you can get forbearance in advance (or was that an indulgence?) for many stages of boat resto that involve us squirming under the Admiral's steely gaze..........

sorry about your parts!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You lucky guy. From now on the Admiral is to blame. She just gave you a teflon suit. :lol: Sorry about the accidental discard. I think we've all done it once or twice.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

sad thing is she just gave me an excuse to turn this thing into a center console, but I just bought that sexy windshield.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

now if I could just get it to stop raining.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I got a little done between dodging raindrops. You guys were not kidding when you say you have to take everything out of the boat to get to the floors. What a pain. A few shots from today.

Right after the floor was out.

DSCN0370_zpsc6a2c261.jpg

DSCN0367_zps1bbb0c21.jpg

Didn't have the heart to rip out the splashwell yet. Need to get the thing cleaned out a bit and then we can check the transom and go from there.

DSCN0374_zps4cb8ada2.jpg

Both back corners look like this. I believe it is almost a given that the foam is wet. those corners of the transom are wet, but jabbing them with a screwdriver barely makes a mark. Lets wait and see what we find when we get some of that foam out of the way.

DSCN0373_zps2ae42b7d.jpg

now, how to get almost 30 gal off year old gas out of the tank.

DSCN0371-Copy_zpse28e9506.jpg

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

They have to pump foam into all the compartments in the hull. All these holes where they pump in the foam left open seems like a really bad idea.

DSCN0367_zps1bbb0c21.jpg

DSCN0375_zps0ef56cba.jpg

Guess its time for some core samples. Whats the best way to go about it?

chad