Buying a boat... Water trial from hell

Fasttommyv

Cadet
Hey guys,

I am in the process of buying a boat and found a good candidate, a 99 bayliner 2355 with 6.2L mercruiser MPI. it's in good shape and the price is right. I hired a surveyor and went out onto a lake for a water trial. As we idled out of the no wake zone, everything appeared normal. Once the throttle was applied, the motor stumbled, and emergency alarm sounded. I noticed that the temperature gauge was really high. We pulled open the hatch and saw that the belt was broken, explaining why we were starting to overheat. The owner/seller of the boat suspected that the alternator seized, breaking the belt. We limped the boat back to shore with the temperature gauge pegged at 250. It took maybe 5 minutes to reach the dock. As we were going back I noticed some black/grey smoke coming out of the exhaust. By the time we made it back the motor was starting to steam.

With all that Being said, the seller said he is going to fix everything. My question is was any damage done to the engine by the overheating? How stout is the Mercruiser 6.2 MPI with high temperature situations? Am I crazy for even still considering the boat if everything is fixed? Is it time to ask for my deposit back?

Let me know what you think,

Tom

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Buying a boat... Water trail from hell.

I'd be reluctant to buy anything from someone that would operate an engine with the temperature gauge pegged. Those alarms and gauges weren't telling him to get back to the dock, they were telling him to stop.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

There's always a reason the price is right.

He's selling it now and surely will fix it, but he'll use Chinese parts and a one-eyed mechanic since the price is right. (just being sarcastic, I'm sure he's an honest man)

Deal breaker for me.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys,

I am in the process of buying a boat and found a good candidate, a 99 bayliner 2355 with 6.2L mercruiser MPI. it's in good shape and the price is right. I hired a surveyor and went out onto a lake for a water trial. As we idled out of the no wake zone, everything appeared normal. Once the throttle was applied, the motor stumbled, and emergency alarm sounded. I noticed that the temperature gauge was really high. We pulled open the hatch and saw that the belt was broken, explaining why we were starting to overheat. The owner/seller of the boat suspected that the alternator seized, breaking the belt. We limped the boat back to shore with the temperature gauge pegged at 250. It took maybe 5 minutes to reach the dock. As we were going back I noticed some black/grey smoke coming out of the exhaust. By the time we made it back the motor was starting to steam.

With all that Being said, the seller said he is going to fix everything. My question is was any damage done to the engine by the overheating? How stout is the Mercruiser 6.2 MPI with high temperature situations? Am I crazy for even still considering the boat if everything is fixed? Is it time to ask for my deposit back?

Let me know what you think,

Tom

WOW... At this point there is really no idea what all has been damaged by driving the boat in that condition back to the dock. Heat is a huge problem that can warp heads and fry gaskets, melt seals, harden "O" rings and so many things that could or could not show up initially. And it doesn?t take very long depending on the temperature for those things to manifest either. Five minutes return time is six minutes too long for me. I'd be very leary myself, but you have to make that decision... :facepalm:

smoothy003

Cadet

Agree to all, deal breaker for me. Makes you wonder, what else is broken that he is either not telling or not aware of?

BF

Lieutenant

So, the owner operated the boat for ~ 5 minutes with the knowledge that the engine water pump was not functional, and caused a severe overheat?? Yes, that'd be the end of the deal for me. If he had called someone to tow you back in and thereby avoided the overheat, then maybe I would have considered sticking with it and let him replace the alternator or whatever. But now, the heads might be warped.

Not only is it moronic to run the motor that way, how could he have not picked up the problem earlier? The volt meter would have shown a non-functional alternator. Or when idling out, he should have noticed the temp gauge move up beyond the normal zone and investigated. The gauges are there for a reason, not just to look sporty. Just be thankful this didn't happen the day after you closed the deal! Consider it a free learning experience for you.

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with everyone else, I would ask for the deposit back and say thanks but no thanks.

shrew

Lieutenant

We don't know that the owner 'knowingly' did anything. It sounds like the belt let go. More than likely due to lack of maintenance. Lack of use and cost of maintenance is likely why the boat is being sold to begin with. That motor 'should' be going into 'guardian mode' for whatever that is worth. RPM's are severely restricted. Water boils at 212 and you saw the engine running with the guage at 250. Could damage have been done to the motor? Quite possibly.

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would keep looking. That`s why you take a used boat out on a shake-down cruise.

matt167

Captain

Unless I'm mistaken, a 6.2 in a 1999 is already an engine swap ( and fairly recent at that ). The 6.2 can take getting cooked at least once, but it would be at that point I would ask for deposit back... If seller decides to fix and the boat is otherwise sound, I would only reconsider it if both head gaskets were replaced, new water pump/ thermostat, alternator and THEN doing a compression test and a leak down test to ensure that it is good to go, and I would not give a deposit back unless seller would allow at least a compression test before re-inspection and recheck the exhaust/ drive.. That's the only way I would do that and the seller will probably not go to fix for more than what is broken.

UncleWillie

Captain

Boats have a wet exhaust for a reason!
With no water flow, the Exhaust Manifold and all the plastic and rubber parts in the exhaust system were being torched with 400?+ hot Exhaust Gasses.
That was the source of the Black/Grey Smoke coming out of the Exhaust.
The Exhaust plumbing was burning! :eek:

The logic here is the same thing as if you are out of OIL, you can drive it home as long as you go slowly. :facepalm:

saumon

Lieutenant

This event certainly makes me wonder if this situation, or something similar, happened before...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The oil way NOT to pass is if he puts a new motor, exhaust, ypipe, accessories etc. in it first as the complete condition is now suspect and simply trying to cheap out is not acceptable. This of course would include a check that no bad parts made it to the drive or lingering around in there. Further, the work is to be done by vendors of your choice.

Will he accept this; most likely not so then he gives you the deposit back.

But just imagine if he does accept that, just think all the new stuff you'll get. Will it take time, sure. Will you miss out on some/all of the season, maybe. But the new stuff might be worth it.

When I had the mechanical pre-inspection done on the Sea Ray, one cylinder was showing low compression and my mechanic suspected a bad exhaust valve which a leak-down test proved right. Estimate of $1500 for a complete valve job, parts and labor, was given so we asked the seller for that allowance which he agreed to. We bought the boat; my mechanic did the r&r and a machine shop did the valve job.
I got the valve job along with new riser gaskets all paid for by the seller.

What do you have to lose by asking him? Nothing. Worse case you get your deposit back.

Mark

QC

Supreme Mariner

These things are so much more resilient than most you guys are thinking. I'd check her out after the repair. If things were right, compression, temps, oil condition, etc. etc. I'd use the whole mess to drive the price down. And I also agree that the engine has been replaced. That's a good thing. Not sure why that would scare someone away.

UncleWillie

Captain

We don't know that the owner 'Knowingly' did anything...

We know that the owner "Knowingly" operated the engine with a Broken Belt, Inoperative Water pump, Warning Alarm Sounding, and a Temperature gauge pegged above the Red Zone! :eek:

If he didn't "Know" this was bad, he would have not have "Limped Back" to the Launch area. :mmph:

tpenfield

Staff member

It is a tough call as to if there is any damage. You could run a bunch of extra tests as the other folks have suggested, but you just never know.

What else do you have to look at, in terms of boats?

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it time to ask for my deposit back?

Without question. You don't want buy a boat from that guy.

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. Engine alarm blaring during sea trial. Completely oblivious, the owner happily motored on until I pointed out the temp gauge. We had to be towed back.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Don't let your emotions rule you. NO boat NEEDS to be bought. There are a lot of good sound used boats out there. Wait for the next one.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the temp gauge was at 250, that means there was water in the engine, meaning the outdrive pump WAS pushing water into the engine, and as bubba noted the exhaust would've been cooled by that seawater. Engines will tolerate 250? without issue, as long as there's water in them. 250? is the point 15# radiator caps on our cars & trucks relieve pressure.

if there was no water in the engine the gauge would've read COLD. A steaming hot engine and a cold temp gauge, now THAT is when things start to melt down fast.

Saying "sorry" is definitely the most popular opinion, but if you're in no big hurry and the boat's what you want and it's a good deal, I'd at least wait until repairs are made. Asking for receipts of those repairs is more than fair too..

Fasttommyv

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's definitely a tough spot for me as I have made the mistake of getting connected with the boat. I've got everything in line and ready to go, just had to have a successful sea trial and survey. The boat appears to be in good condition, comes with the trailer, and the 6.2 MPI engine for 12.2k. Finding another boat with that power level, condition and price locally will be difficult.

I just spoke to a Mercruiser mechanic and he seems to think that all hope isn't lost. Since the boat has fresh water cooling, there was water in it as frantically relaxing eluded too. They recommended doing a full compression inspection and observing how the motor runs. But then again, why would I buy something knowing that it's already tainted...

Keep the comments coming and I'll continue to ponder the situation....

Thanks,

Tom