Weeping Anti-freeze

RenkenII

Seaman
I have a mid 80's 470 that has been a project for the last three years after being under a tree for 5 years. I have had it running twice this season and for the first minute or so, I have anti-freeze dripping from the weeping hole in the front of the motor. About on drop per second, then it slows and stops as the engine warms. Oil is good. Does this mean the cam seal is bad? I've heard of this, but need more info. Thanks.

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Weeping Anti-freeze

Yes this is a telltale sign of at least one of the two cam seals failing. This is actually the function of that weep hole to let you know that a seal is failing. It's time to replace those seals before the other one lets the coolant into your crankcase.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As Dave on Storage Wars would say, "Yuuuup".

The seals have probably taken a 'set' from five years of inactivity......you may not require the Speedi-sleeve repair until you measure/inspect the seal journal. It's a realitively nut 'n bolt job if you are mechanically inclined.

RenkenII

Seaman

I have down everything up to this point. Are there any special tools needed? Does any one have a diagram I could download? Thanks for the help guys.

RenkenII

Seaman

Well, I've got it all apart and have found the cam shaft is grooved. I have a Readi-Sleeve coming to repair that. Thanks for the help.20130418_123200.jpg

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yes this is a telltale sign of at least one of the two cam seals failing. This is actually the function of that weep hole to let you know that a seal is failing. It's time to replace those seals before the other one lets the coolant into your crankcase.

Actually it is the sign that the FRONT seal is failing, the weep hole drains the space between the seals, the real seal keeps the AF out of the crankcase when the front fails.

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I've got it all apart and have found the cam shaft is grooved. I have a Readi-Sleeve coming to repair that. Thanks for the help.View attachment 189929

I think you need two. One sleeve is not wide enough to supply a new surface for the two new seals. Also be sure the new seals are facing the correct direction.

Dennis

RenkenII

Seaman

Here is the cam shaft end with 2 Readi-Sleeves. I got it all reassembled and headed for the lake. No LEAKS! Thanks for all your help....20130506_135454.jpg

Nice! good job on the repair. I messed up one of the sleeves and had to reposition one to get them right the first time around :facepalm: but now not a peep!!