boat still overheating- solved problem, I think

krazylegs

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, this question is based on the raw hose that would be on the starboard side of the transom. Where the 45 degree bend is that coming out of the transom. I put my finger inside of the hose (past the bend, and outside of the transom housing) and it was totally caved in- right at the bend. So, at slow speeds (no wake) with very little pressure from the impellor, my temps are fine. The second I give it throttle I think the impeller increases it's suction; and in doing so, makes the small space where the bend is totally suck up.

So, my question is this- how do I replace the raw hose? Does the outdrive need to come off? And where do I get the parts from. My Volvo dealership seems lost on what this part's called. Can anyone give me some feedback.

Mods- if you would like to merge this with my original post- have at it. But, I thought it was a new question, hence a new issue. Krazy.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: boat still overheating- solved problem, I think

So, my question is this- how do I replace the raw hose? Does the outdrive need to come off? And where do I get the parts from. My Volvo dealership seems lost on what this part's called. Can anyone give me some feedback.

Not sure where you would find parts :lol:

Let me think for a minute.

Parts.jpg

What drive do you have? What engine?

krazylegs

Seaman Apprentice

Don I have an AQ 190, I should have included this before. Ford 302 VP 270.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you mean this rubber hose or the metal one it's attached to going through the transom?

krazylegs

Seaman Apprentice

Don, the hose I was referencing earlier was actually the little bypass hose- that doesn't do very much at all. Per several posts on the other thread related to this, I could have my seals and o-rings shot. I drove to the volvo mechanic and he stated that the one way to find out if it's the o-ring and seals is to get the boat up on plane and then take the hose off of the water pump from the thermostat. I should see a strong stream of 3/4 in. water coming out steady. If I see spurts and sputters of water- then it's the o-rings and seals (again what another member stated it could be) If it is the o-rings and seals then I'm looking at a $800 bill to get everything replaced.

No way in frozen hell would there be a tutorial (again, I'm going to try to find out myself) I can order the parts from iboats- but I need the part numbers, I just don't know how to locate them. Thanks again for all the assistance!

Do you mean this rubber hose or the metal one it's attached to going through the transom?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don, the hose I was referencing earlier was actually the little bypass hose- that doesn't do very much at all. Per several posts on the other thread related to this,

I have no idea what the bypass hose is or what thread you are referring to.