Glastron Needs Motor - Or Sold...

kawi501

Recruit
Any classic Glastron guys out there?
I have a 1972 V164 and am looking for a new motor. It currently has a Volvo inline 4 cylinder. Not sure what outdrive...
Long story short, I was young and dumb when I bought the boat. Me and a buddy bought it thinking all it needed was a valve cover gasket and replenished oil (as the previous owner told us), when in reality the bottom end was seized.
It has been sitting in our possession since 2010; I have decided that I want to get the ball rolling with the damned thing and either get it running or get rid of it.
I'm trying to find out how to go about rebuilding it.
Anyone know where I could find a refurbished crate replacement, or if there are any easy transplant options?
I heard a rumor a couple years back that a certain Ford could be a near direct fit.
Really, any info on this boat would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if anyone is or knows of anyone interested in such a project, I'd be more than willing to sell it.

Thanks Guys

matt167

Captain
Re: Glastron Needs Motor - Or Sold...

I'm not too familiar with the early Volvo drives. Most likely, the motor is the marinized version of the Volvo B20 engine which is not going to be an easy find. Swapping to a Ford would require an entirely new drive as the bell housings do not match. The V164 is a nice hull and it may be worth a repower if your inclined to do so. I think Volvo or Mercruiser can be used as the transom keyhole is the same. A Mercruiser M/MR/Alpha One with a 3.0L 4cyl would make a nice repower but you still need to address the stringers and transom

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

As Matt mentioned above, inspect the deck, transom, and stringers thoroughly before you think about rebuilding the engine. You want to make sure the hull is worth saving.

The engine will have a nameplate just forward and a little above the starter. You need to know which engine you have in order to get started. The B20 engines aren't that hard to rebuild. Just might take awhile to find all the parts. Repowering with a 4 cylinder Volvo OHC engine is an option that would be simpler, but probably just as expensive as rebuilding the older pushrod engine. Repowering with a V8 may be possible, but pretty expensive.

To be realistic, you really need to make a decision as to how much the boat is worth before sinking much more into it. It would be easy to put $3-4k into the boat and still have a $2,500, 30+ year old boat at the end of it. If you like tinkering and have the time, patience, and money to do a project, then go for it. If you just want to get on the water and have fun, might be a better idea to look for a better boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I heard a rumor a couple years back that a certain Ford could be a near direct fit.

You really heard wrong on that, Ford is worse for marine parts for the older Volvo's than the engine in it now.
Any V8 will be problems to install unless a through hull exhaust system is installed, along with all the electrical and fuel systems marine rated parts to keep you from blowing up.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are 'marine crate engines' on ebay. Come with risers and manifolds, ignition, the whole bit.
OR you could use an old junkyard b20 motor and rebuild it. Use the marine camshaft though, apparently its a little different. A guy on here did it a year or two ago, think his name was Paperklip ? Maybe do a little poking around, he had a nice detailed thread about it.

How is the rest of the boat? Is the interior looking good? If it is and all you need is a motor, go for it. If not and the motor is just step 1, I vote sell it and be done.

Nickypoo is doing a total over the top overhaul right now: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...pr-1950i-volvo-penta-aq125a-resto-555694.html