1984 evinrude e140TR throttle issue

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good afternoon guys! I have this Evinrude motor that bought last year and rigged myself on my deck boat. The issue I have that I just cant figure out is throttle. I took the boat out 2 weeks ago and it ran like a champ. I took out last week with the wife to fish and it cranks right up. The problem is that when I throw it in forward its fine. I can throw the throttle lever all the way down and cant get over about 2500-3000rpm...( Guessing because the speedometer and rpm gauge doesnt work from PO) Motor just sounds like its the throttle isnt all the way down. Doesnt sound like a skip or a dropped cyl. Although I havent ever heard a cylinder dropped, I would think it is notable if you hear it. Could this be a fuel delivery system issue? Maybe fuel line problems? I cleaned carbs and rebuilt last season, but that doesnt mean anything I know. I am just dumbfounded right now as to why it works fine until I try to give it more throttle! Thanks in advance for all of the help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 evinrude e140TR throttle issue

I'm not real technical but I CAN add that a dropped cylinder will sound completely normal but just won't have any power. I've experienced that.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'd start by checking for spark on all four cyl. From what you describe I'm betting you have dropped a cyl.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not real technical but I CAN add that a dropped cylinder will sound completely normal but just won't have any power. I've experienced that.

Ugh.....Really!
Gah I really hope not! So dropping a cylinder would entail rings or scared cylinder. But with 3 other cylinders wouldnt I be able to move somewhat at a speed greater than 5mp.......ugh thanks for the reply.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I will check tomorrow! I really really really hope I haven't dropped a cylinder. If I have I will drive this damn boat off a dam!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Don't confuse dropping a cylinder with a major overhaul.... Usually that means that the ignition is just not firing all 4 plugs. On that engine, it will seem to run just fine on 2 or 3 cyls, till you put it in gear. You can test it yourself. Remove the cowling. Get the engine running and in forward gear. Pull one of the spark plug wires off one plug. (insulated pliers required) If the engine seems to slow, the plug is probably firing. Replace that plugwire and remove another. Each should cause the engine to slow down-rpm/speed wise. If you pull one plugwire off and nothing seems to happen, likely it is not firing. Likely an ignition problem.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't confuse dropping a cylinder with a major overhaul.... Usually that means that the ignition is just not firing all 4 plugs. On that engine, it will seem to run just fine on 2 or 3 cyls, till you put it in gear. You can test it yourself. Remove the cowling. Get the engine running and in forward gear. Pull one of the spark plug wires off one plug. (insulated pliers required) If the engine seems to slow, the plug is probably firing. Replace that plugwire and remove another. Each should cause the engine to slow down-rpm/speed wise. If you pull one plugwire off and nothing seems to happen, likely it is not firing. Likely an ignition problem.

Ahhhh.....that makes perfect sense. One major problem I have had was the top cover/cowling fits so tight that it is hard to get it on without hitting plug wires. Maybe I knocked one off when adjusting the throttle linkage. I will check that and let you know. THANKS!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I have a similar 1979 V4 engine. That cowling is very tight and I always have to watch it when re-installing the cowl. Those cowling latches do tend to catch on the plugwires. Not only is is possible that one of the wires has come off, but it is also possible that one of the coil wires could be breaking down and shorting to ground at a cowling latch. Those plugwires from the factory were supported by small insulated holders, to keep the wires in correct position. Sometimes these are lost, or not positioned correctly, causing older wires to run close to the engine block (ground.) When these plugwires get old, they certainly will try to find the closest ground to fire to-instead of the plug. To double check, run the engine after dark and see if you have any blue ignition flashes going to ground.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. The one I experienced the non-firing cylinder on turned out to be just a broken plug wire.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel much better about the issue now. If this rain will ever stop I will get all of this put behind me!

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Guys I have an update to the throttle issue.
I replaced the primer bulb and put in a new clear fuel filter inline with the hose. I cranked it and pulled off the plug wires one at a time. All appeared to be operating properly at this time. Changed out some fuel line and took it back out this past weekend. Cranked up fine and idled great like always. Got past the no wake zone and far enough from others so as to save a little embarrassment for the wife when I opened up the throttle. So I did just that expecting a thundering roar of the motor and wind in my hair. However it did not happen! Same ole problem. Hit throttle wide open, and it just moved at a snails pace. No noticeable rpm increase. almost like there was just not enough fuel getting to it. I know the fuel line and all was brand new. At home with primer bulb I could dump fuel line with no problem. So I motored into a cove so I could let the kids swim and listen to the wife complain about how embarrassing it is to move so slow. Once I got into the cove I put the boat in neutral and let out a few expletives. While in neutral I decided to rev the motor in neutral and see if the motor noise sounded the same in neutral as it did in drive at WOT. I lifted the lever on top of the control box and it revved up like it should. It stumbled about half way up just for a second like it was stuck or something. Then all of the sudden it got really loud. I put it back down and threw it gear. We took off like a bat out of hell. Had no other issues through out the rest of the day. We wasted 20 something gallons of fuel and the kids absolutely had a blast. the only problem I keep having is when I throw into reverse it doesnt go into gear easily. Kinda rattles like it isnt quite thrown far enough and finally goes in.I am not sure whats causing that. I have adjusted the throttle and shift cables out and in. If I adjust the shift cable in anymore it wont go into gear at all. Any way I am not sure what caused the throttle issue. I had cowl off and manually lifted the carb flaps and nothing changed. Maybe by lifting the lever I moved the throttle cable out of a pinch or something. Either way it worked. Thanks for all the information and help. Any ideas how to fix the shift issue though?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Dump the boat in the lake. Disconnect the shift cable at the engine end. Start the engine. See if you can shift the engine normally by hand back at the engine. F,N, R. If so, then it's likely either the cable or the cable adjustment.