How to replace a rocker switch in throttle handle?

ourjoy333

Recruit
I have a 2006 Blue Wave with a rocker switch in the throttle handle that has gone bad (only tilts engine down not up). How do you replace it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to replace a rocker switch in throttle handle?

FIrst of all welcome to iboats :welcome: great to have you aboard...

First, are you absolutely certain that your tilt problem is in the switch and not back at the tilt/trim pump/relays? I'd make sure of exactly where the real problem is before disassembling anything just yet. Ohm out the wires going to the up/down relays or pump section to verify there is a problem and where it exists. If you do isolate the switch as your problem then either take pictures and slowly disassembly the unit with step by step pictures along the way if you can't locate a IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) for it... Some of those IPB's are available here at iboats. But you have to know the model, year and such to locate them in the Remote Control section... But even if you do locate your IPB diagram for your control unit, I'd still back that up with a lot of pictures anyway... :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Switches are easy to test, and also easy to bypass. My bet it is that it is NOT the switch. Bad relay or bad connection further back in the system.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I would certainly check the easy stuff first, but.....I've replaced 2 switches on 2 different motors in the past 10 years. I have yet to have a relay go bad.

SaltCracker

Cadet

I recently had the very same problem you're describing. Didn't have a working multimeter handy, but I was able to rule out the switch on the throttle handle by reversing the "up" and "down" connections where the wiring from that switch connects to the harness. (You may or may not be able to do this, depending on your wiring harness.) The motor now trimmed down when I pressed "up" on the helm switch and did nothing when I pressed "down" -- which told me the switch on the throttle was fine and the problem was farther back. Turned out to be just a loose connection at the relay in the motor. Best of luck to you!

P.S. - Hope you enjoy your Blue Wave as much as I enjoy mine!

ourjoy333

Recruit

I have a 2006 Blue Wave with a rocker switch in the throttle handle that has gone bad (only tilts engine down not up). How do you replace it?

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice. Since the motor would tilt down with the rocker switch on the throttle but not up........and I was still able to tilt the motor both up and down with the rocker switch on the side of the Yamaha motor (nice to know that that switch will still work when the throttle gives problems)........I made a summation that the problem may be in the battery charge. Even though I was getting a reading at about 14......I decided to put the batteries on trickle charge for 72 hours each. Guess what???? The charge put the throttle's rocker switch back in action going up. Just needed that extra juice to push the motor up. Thanks again for all those who gave advice. And yes, I do enjoy my blue wave more than you will ever know!!!