Motor Well Drain tubes

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone give me a hand in what I should be using for new splash well drain tubes the hole is 1 inch in diameter but I'm not sure what length to use? I've also remember reading there was someone that made up their own little tappering / rolling compression setup... So i Guess I need help with both things. tubes and tools..

BTW it's for a 73 Super Sport 16 footer

Thanks everybody... Just placed my order with McMasterCarr for all my new SS fasteners.... and some new ublots.. Trying to button up all the other parts on boat website order. new cable grommets etc...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor Well Drain tubes

I have sort of a tutorial on drain tube install over in my Sea Nymph thread if you wanna check it out.

Hey, if you'd like to borrow a flareing tool lemme know! Super easy:thumb:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I used the plastic ones made by Sea choice for sale here on Iboats. Very cheap and super easy to install!

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plastic ones for me as well, super easy to install, won't rot or corrode and no extra tools required.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Since you asked: Dale's DIY Flaring tool....

Lots of good suggestions up there ^^^^^

The Moeller Flare tool is probably a better 'tool' for the drain tube flaring job, but the DIY version will work. Be sure to follow the diagrams directions & use a hose or something to keep the bolt centered thru the drain tube. The double flared ends on the Moeller tool does that for ya.....

I ordered the Moeller tool.....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Very good guys.. Very nice.. Everything I needed to get the parts I needed all together... Thanks!

barato2

Commander

FWIW, i bought the plastic ones but had to go with the alum ones because i couldn't get the plastic ones to fit in without bowing the splashwell excessively. any9one wants a set of plastic ones for cost of shipping, PM me.

smacd11

Seaman

I just successfully installed my drain tubes the other night. The marine shop in town where I bought them said to use 2 ball peen hammers, one on either side. I was skeptical at first. Since I didn't have enough hands I used a solid piece of steel on one side and carefully worked the other side with my ball peen hammer. I almost forgot to put the caulking around it until it was almost flared. I just took it slow a bit at a time until the whole thing was flared out then used the flat end of the hammer to smooth it out. I was quite pleased with the outcome. Check out my thread . I will post pictures tomorrow. I didn't feel like buying a $50 tool to flare 2 $4 tubes.