Do Heli-Coils Perform Well In Saltwater Atmosphere

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Do Heli-Coils Perform Well In Saltwater Atmosphere? I'm thinking about heli-coiling some damaged bolt holes that will be exposed, but I'm wondering if corrosion will start there. Any ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do Heli-Coils Perform Well In Saltwater Atmosphere

I have used a lot of Heli-Coils in my times, but honestly I don’t know or remember what material they are made from. If they are made from stainless steel then that would help. But corrosion can and will pop up at any opportune place, especially with salt water. And dissimilar metals are prone to that also... I’d say install them as you need them and coat them with some type paint or corrosion preventing application and watch them along the way during general maintenance...

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

dissimilar metals are prone to that
thats what I was thinking, and since the threads will not be visible after assembly, the only way I'll be able to tell will be to dissassemble, and I hope to never dissassemble it again! Thats how the bolts got screwed up to begin with! But Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts about this floating around out there?

Bondo

Staff member

thats what I was thinking, and since the threads will not be visible after assembly, the only way I'll be able to tell will be to dissassemble, and I hope to never dissassemble it again! Thats how the bolts got screwed up to begin with! But Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts about this floating around out there?

Ayuh,.... usin' Heli-coils is better than changin' the housin's,...

Just coat yer bolts with Merc perfect seal or form-a-gasket #2 to seal things up, when goin' back together....

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

usin' Heli-coils is better than changin' the housin's,...

Just coat yer bolts with Merc perfect seal or form-a-gasket #2 to seal

will give it it a wirl, thanks