Another Microsoft Win 8 quirk...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a new laptop with Win 8 loaded on it. After going through the prescribed fooling around to set it up for my uses (which DON'T include sharing photos, apps, videos, etc., and all the other new wave social stuff), I installed their Windows 365 Office program.

Of course I hadn't realized when I bought this suite that I wouldn't have perpetual license to it, but instead had only a one-year subscription. In fact, I realize it only after I installed it and went through the intro for it. So, yeah, I got it for $80 but I'll have to either renew it each year for $100 +, or it will go to "read-only". I can install it on up to five computers, but I have no need for that. In fact, it only works on Win 7 or Win 8, so it's useless on two of my units.

So there I'll be a year from now, either renewing or buying outright an Office suite. Damn, I despise Microsoft. And I'm not too pleased with myself either, for falling for this.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another Microsoft Win 8 quirk...

Load Open Office. Does all the things MS Office does for a lot less money. It cost me nothing, it's free open source.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ga and fish. I'll try it.

One thing though, do you happen to know if it works on Win 8? Win 7?

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks Ga and fish. I'll try it.

One thing though, do you happen to know if it works on Win 8? Win 7?

Open office works on everything - it is supported by the unwashed hippie freeware community. BTW - I love the I hate MS (because you can't read)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I was able to purchase a license for the version of Office that was included on my Win 8 machine that I bought in Nov. for like $49.00 in December and it is a lifetime license.

Hating successful companies is a great American past time!

:D

matt167

Captain

Actually, Open office is corporate owned ( By Oracle Now ). Still free and open source tho they have a paid support version also.

Many Distrobutions of Linux switched to Libreoffice when Oracle bought out Sun and had market plans for Open Office. Nothing has materialized yet but Libreoffice is just a fork copy of Open Office run by The Document Foundation