Watering bilge

Chief9

Seaman
Question from a new boat owner. I have had my new Monterey 204fs with a Mercruiser 4.3mpi out twice. After returning home and taking the plug out about a third to a half gallon of water drained from the bilge both times. Is this normal? I didn't take any water into the boat, nor did I get anywhere near that much in the boat when cleaning it. Thanks in advance.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Watering bilge

Time to have someone else drive and get in there- carefully- and look hard for any leaks. Before launching,check any through hulls and such for looseness and bellows to. Do you have a water systym? Them leak at times also when something is amiss.air conditioning? Anythigs possible!
Grub

Mi duckdown

Commander

I/o correct? Run the motor on muffs, No water? then dunk boat in lake and see if there is a leak.???

Thalasso

Commander

Is this a new boat or new to you? If it's new to you i would be looking at the bellows

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

So to things to check... while on the water, start the engine up and watch for leaks around the engine. If that is dry, then turn the engine off and tilt up the drive and watch.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Do you trailer the boat? Do you keep it covered when not in the water? When you store it is it with the bow way up and the stern down to allow for full drainage? Sometimes a little rain or wash water can hide in the bow and not show up until you splash it and the stern goes down. 1/2 to a 1/3 of a gallon really isn't that much water although ideally you don't want any. I'd check the things mentioned above to make sure it's not a mechanical issue that could get worse but at least, at the moment, it doesn't sound too serious. If all mentioned in the above posts checks out than just Monitor it though to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

tpenfield

Staff member

+ 1 to what Tazrig said . . .

The water may be getting in the forward section from washing, etc. and then works its way aft when you use the boat.

Still, I would check the engine compartment for leaks, both with the engine running on the muffs and in the water just to be sure. Use a mechanics mirror to see places where your eyes can't reach. Be safe looking in the engine compartment while the engine is running . . .

Chief9

Seaman

Thanks or the replys. The boat is new, has less than 5 hours. It is trailered, with a bow and cockpit cover and kept under a carport when not in use. I will certainly follow through with the suggestions. It's going back to the dealer this week for some minor warranty fixes and I will mention it to them as well. Thanks again!