Load guides

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice
New boater here, and I think a set of load guides would be a good idea to help me align myself for smoother loading.

Now, I'm frugal, (cheap) and would like some advice on what makes good load guides, and how to make a good set. I'm not a welder, but I can cut PVC pipe. Should I use the bunk guides or not?

Thanks

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Load guides

Should you use them? Depends on your situation. For us, it helps with drift but some folks don't need them.

I agree, at $80 they're overpriced. If you can bend pipe and weld a few brackets you'll be set. Ask someone at the ramp if you can see how they're made, but it's a very simple design.

saumon

Lieutenant

The ones made from PVC pipes are only a visual aid to help "seeing" the trailer underwater and they also help when backing up your trailer. Not really meant to be bumped by the boat.
pvc.jpg
1.png
The ones with guides-on bunks are "self-aligning" and are usually set with only about 2" of clearance on each sides of the hull. They were useful in strong wind/current areas.
2.jpg
3.jpg

Personally, I like the guides-on but think they were not always needed.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ones made from PVC pipes are only a visual aid to help "seeing" the trailer underwater and they also help when backing up your trailer. Not really meant to be bumped by the boat.
View attachment 189472
I'm not familiar with those. The ones everyone (ok 75%) of the people use down here are created from a bent pipe that extends upwards into the PVC about 3/4 of the way up. They're designed and used as pivot points for boats. They're easily as strong as that 2' bunk guide you posted here View attachment 189479 because their based on the same post design.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

photos of your rig would help.

size of your boat?

most pvc guides have a steel post inside of them.

the all pvc guides are really thick, and custom molded, with custom hardware to mount them. only seem to work on small boats.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I made a set cheap. Weld angle iron to form an L shape. U-Bolted these to the trailer frame about 1/2 way between the end of the trailer and the fender. Ran a set of light wires then wrapped in foam. THICK foam as this was covered with 5" PVC and capped. Last the LED trailer lights were mounted on top. Now 2 sets of lights. Rarely need them to load BUT when there is a strong tide they can help but mostly it is when the wind catches a heavy boat with high gunnels and cabin.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

These guys use load guides . . .
Is that a new valet service? Nice! :excitement: When are they coming to Jax?

Seriously though, they do work. Just not as well as the Alaskan's guides ;)

64osby

Admiral

I ducked out of the way just watching that video.

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice

It's an 18' grew bowrider on an ez loader, bunk trailer. I don't imagine I will be doing much loading in high winds of currents, but it still might be might for aligning on the trailer.

I'm trying to upload a photo, but after a night shift, and using my phone, but working!

Night!

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

All the PVC ones I have seen have some form of metal inside the PVC. I made a set for a light boat using 1/2" EMT and 3/4" PVC.

Steel angle (1-1/2") perforated or regular combined with 2" PVC should make a fairly sturdy one. Side bunks might be easier to make and add to the trailer. Probably going to need pictures for anyone to offer serious suggestions. If you can't upload them here try Flickr or one of the other image hosts and then include them in your post here. Try to keep the size to 1000 px wide so it doesn't break the site page.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

On my 16' Starcraft they are a BIG help. Even in mild wind my boat catches air and these help me get it on track often at the ramp. Helps even if no wind present. Mine are steel with rubber on them.