Fabricating lower bearing carrier wrench

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may need to remove the bearing carrier retaining ring and would like to build the wrench. Looks quite doable.... has anyone else made one? If you have, some pics and or dimensions would be great!
Thanks,
Alan

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fabricating lower bearing carrier wrench

unless you unit is brand new forget about having it just screw off. you`ll need the tool to install it though. drill (2) 1/4 inch holes 1 inch apart down to the SS ring. . remove the 1 inch sewction, then remove the rest.

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The unit is decidedly not new..... I have been hosing it down with penetrating oil though. I will try heating the housing, but won't spend a lot of time trying to use the wrench. Even the manual shows the drilling technique so I imagine that will be my method of removal. Do the the actual bearing carriers often get seized in the housing?
Alan

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The unit is decidedly not new..... I have been hosing it down with penetrating oil though. I will try heating the housing, but won't spend a lot of time trying to use the wrench. Even the manual shows the drilling technique so I imagine that will be my method of removal. Do the the actual bearing carriers often get seized in the housing?
Alan

Yes. Especially when used in salt-water. It usually takes a very strong 2 leg puller AND some serious heating of the housing for the carrier to yield. Often the carrier breaks....

Chris.,.......

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Use the drilling method to remove the locking ring. You'll also need a torch to heat the housing.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been using a torpedo heater for heating the units.....heats a nice large area and does not get it too hot like a torch might. Turn it to one side then the other for a short time....does not take a lot of heat to expand aluminum a few thousands.

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies thus far... I am going to pressure test before I try to remove the bearing carrier. Given the age of the unit I could certainly see some difficulties with the removal. Fortunately the boat has spent most of its life on a trailer not wet, so I may get lucky. A guy can hope! I did manage to make up the bearing carrier wrench tonight. Took a couple (almost 3) of hours to put it together. Not too difficult to make if you have access to a lathe, mill and welder. I took a section of pipe and milled four 1/2" slots at 90 to each other. Welded on a plate and a piece of tube to make the extension. Welded in a 1/2" drive socket to make it torque wrenchable and welded in 4 small pieces of 1/2 x 1/2 square stock to make the keys. It fits nicely and although it is only mild steel I hope it will work for the limited use it will get from me.
Has any one tried the carrier removal method shown on merc stuff.com page.?
Bearing Carrier Removal
This technique uses the prop shaft itself to "pull" the carrier.
Alan

Attachments

• Carrier wrench 001 (640x480).jpg
    Carrier wrench 001 (640x480).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Carrier wrench 002 (640x480).jpg
    Carrier wrench 002 (640x480).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 7

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mercs4mark, what the heck is a torpedo heater?
Alan

NHGuy

Captain

It's one of those tube shaped propane heaters that are normally used in construction sites.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeez, you went all out...I got an old socket, welded 4 pieces of key stock onto it, cut it in half and welded in some pipe to make it fit over the prop shaft....
mine spun out with out much trouble and it didn't need heated....but it's a freshwater boat...