Picked up an '89 Holiday!

and2ram

Seaman
I picked her up yesterday. 1989 Starcraft Holiday (HL180) with a Johnson 110 and Evinrude 8hp 4stroke. Full topset, Lowrance GPS/fishfinder, Uniden VHF, rodholders galore. I think I got a fair deal for it at $4500. Around here this boat would have gone for closer to $6K. Had to drive 300 miles to pick it up but for that price the only thing I was finding in the Minneapolis area were junk, ratty trailers, soft floors, one owner wasn't even sure what model his boat was! The late model Holiday's have vinyl floors and bow decks so the floors held up much much better than anything with carpet. This is a one owner boat and it has a great Shorelandr trailer. Since I have a 300+ mile trip at least once a year it's important for me to have a good trailer. Good replacement trailers are running around $800 and a 4 stroke kicker is at least $800 so, not too bad!

I sold my 18 SuperSportster (Sylvan) because the trailer was subpar, the floor needed to be replaced, and the IO was becoming more of a pain (easy to work on but I wanted something easier and quicker to winterize).

I'll post some pictures later today when the sun pops out, it's too depressingly cold now:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Picked up an '89 Holiday!

That sounds like a STEAL to me especially when I think about what I have into mine. +1 for the outboard team! :p

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the Starmada, sounds like a real deal, we are looking forward to the pictures.

and2ram

Seaman

645_zps4a53bfee.jpg647_zps6a2919c1.jpg646_zps0640e355.jpg

She's still filthy from the drive in the snow and rain. Hopefully the sun comes out in the next month or five and I can get her cleaned up. My only concern with the boat at this time is the transom. The big motor seems to be well seated and there's not much flexing. But the kicker bracket bolts are a little loose on the top set of bolts. Hopefully all it needs is to be tightened up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice one! Shows you get value for money, sometimes bottom feeding sux. Looks like you'll be on the water later today. :D Hope the transom is OK. Welcome to the Starmada.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the fold! Nice find...looking forward to the splash report!!!

barato2

Commander

nice! and please share with us any changes you see from earlier holidays....always useful to know what the factory ID'd as problem areas and what they did to fix it.

and2ram

Seaman

please share with us any changes you see from earlier holidays....always useful to know what the factory ID'd as problem areas and what they did to fix it.

I'd love to set this 1989 next to an early 80's or late 70's ob. The hull of my SuperSportser was considerably different. The Holiday only has the center strake, splash rail strake, and one smaller strake in between, wheres my SS had another set of smaller strake. I will get some more pictures when the weather shapes up. If there are requests for anything particular let me know.

Good news: the transom looks to be okay, maybe not like new but not to the point where it's a hazard. The kicker bracket simply needed to be tightened, it probably loosened on the long drive. Question for you guys, what are people using to seal their splashwell to transom joint. Likely a 3M caulk, but which one?

barato2

Commander

4200 if you haven't replaced your transom yet. 5200 if you'd already done it.

and2ram

Seaman

4200 if you haven't replaced your transom yet. 5200 if you'd already done it.

Excellent, I'm on it!

Another difference to older Holiday's, the fuel tank is beneath the floor in between the helm and passenger seats. The fuel fill is just forward the port winshield.