What is the best sealant to use on...

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
My swim deck has a loose screw (as do I sometimes) it is also stripped (holds the braceing to the transom). I want to fill the screw hole with something that will hold it as well as seal it. Prefer something I can buy at WalMart or a local hardware store.

Thanks'

Glenn

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is the best sealant to use on...

If it's stripped out, I'd recommend you drill a 1/2" hole about 1" deep then get a piece of 1/2" dowel and some 5 min epoxy and coat the hole and the dowel with it and Plug the hole. then after it sets up, predrill the hole for the screw add some more epoxy and then screw it down.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: What is the best sealant to use on...

Are you sure that the wood surrounding that screw hole is solid? This might be a 2nd area of wet &/or soft wood similar to what prompted you to start the other thread:

Inside area of engine compartment is rotting...

It may not be related, but since the other area turned into more then you originally thought, it does suggest that there may be more exploration needed below decks & behind the fiberglass skin of the transom & related areas.........

Back in 2003 I left my boat at a mechanics place most of the years, he left it outside and it held water for a long time, very disgusted when I got her back. I was off activated with the Air Force at the time.

Hate to hear that ^^^, particularly while you were on active duty. It might explain what's going on below decks w/ the soft wood.

Weigh carefully what you choose to do (and not do) & how far you explore looking for problems. It will be problematic, I suspect, to fully run down every possible problem of water intrusion, particularly if it sat uncovered, and held water for any length of time. Ultimately you'll want to ensure a safe & sound craft for you & yours to enjoy for a long time.

THANK YOU for your service.