removing seized seat pedistals from plastic collars

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
As my boat interior starts to come into the final stretch one issue I have had is the seat pedestal posts are seized into the plastic bushings. I got by with it because only one of the 4 were seized on both ends so i could remove the post at least from the base where it was important.

We tried a number of things to get them freed up. Parts are no longer available for them and new requires bases pedestals and swivels. so between four of them I really wanted to fix them.

I finally set one of the bases in a large pot with the water level above the plastic portion. A few minutes of this then i ran them out to the garage and chucked them in a vice. A little effort and every one of them came apart. Some sanding on the metal brought that back to life and I found a perfect drill bit to ream the holes to the right size in the plastic bushing. And there all like new. i will try and find some lube that will not effect plastic and try and prevent this from happening again.

Any way i thought Id post this in case it helps anyone with this issue.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: removing seized seat pedistals from plastic collars

i will try and find some lube that will not effect plastic and try and prevent this from happening again.

Ayuh,.... Look into "Fluid Film".... it's plastic safe lanolin based lube...